[perl #36812] Compiling Pugs against Parrot

Lambeck

Aug 4, 2005, 10:17:47 AM8/4/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Lambeck
# Please include the string: [perl #36812]

For the last 2 hours I tried to compile Pugs-2.6.9 against Parrot-0.2.2.
It does not work because Pugs is not able to query the parrot config like
this:
./parrot parrot-config.imc ldflags

The I get :
error:imcc:No such file or directory
in file 'parrot-config.imc' line 53

Important to mention that I am using the installed version of parrot (make
install). When I tell pugs to use the tree I compiled from there is no
problem at all.

I posted here because I think this is a "make install" issue of parrot but I
was not able to figure out what to change in order to make pugs compile.
Maybe this is a good opportunity to also fix the bug I reported earlier
(#34379). I am not able to fix this myself because I am not into the way
parrot does the install.

Adrian

Leopold Toetsch

Aug 4, 2005, 2:55:11 PM8/4/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@netlabs.develooper.com

On Aug 4, 2005, at 16:17, Lambeck (via RT) wrote:

> # New Ticket Created by Lambeck
> # Please include the string: [perl #36812]
>

> For the last 2 hours I tried to compile Pugs-2.6.9 against
> Parrot-0.2.2.
> It does not work because Pugs is not able to query the parrot config
> like
> this:
> ./parrot parrot-config.imc ldflags
>
> The I get :
> error:imcc:No such file or directory
> in file 'parrot-config.imc' line 53

That line does .include "iterator.pasm"

> Important to mention that I am using the installed version of parrot
> (make
> install). When I tell pugs to use the tree I compiled from there is no
> problem at all.

So the question is: is that file installed properly to your --prefix
directory structure?
Maybe you are querying the wrong parrot too (the config paths and
settings gets compiled into the executable of parrot)?

> I posted here because I think this is a "make install" issue of parrot
> but

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of "make install" issues - mostly
missing files I presume. The install target is really experimental for
now: more just present to check strategies, how it should be done, then
really useful.

> was not able to figure out what to change in order to make pugs
> compile.
> Maybe this is a good opportunity to also fix the bug I reported earlier
> (#34379). I am not able to fix this myself because I am not into the
> way
> parrot does the install.

We'll have a closer look after the release.

> Adrian

leo

Adrian Lambeck

Aug 5, 2005, 5:43:55 AM8/5/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
> So the question is: is that file installed properly to your --prefix
> directory structure?
> Maybe you are querying the wrong parrot too (the config paths and
> settings gets compiled into the executable of parrot)?
It is installed properly and I am not querying but the pugs config is doing
it (correctly). First it does a chdir and then uses ./parrot (...). So I
think this is correct.

> I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of "make install" issues - mostly
> missing files I presume. The install target is really experimental for
> now: more just present to check strategies, how it should be done, then
> really useful.

I know but it would be nice to have it working soon. I am trying to keep up
with the current development to include parrot/pugs and mod_parrot in the
Gentoo CVS tree so people can test it and we can find errors.

> We'll have a closer look after the release.

That is up to you :-).

Adrian

Leopold Toetsch

Aug 6, 2005, 7:15:01 AM8/6/05
to Adrian Lambeck, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
Adrian Lambeck wrote:
>>So the question is: is that file installed properly to your --prefix
>>directory structure?
>>Maybe you are querying the wrong parrot too (the config paths and
>>settings gets compiled into the executable of parrot)?
>
> It is installed properly and I am not querying but the pugs config is doing
> it (correctly). First it does a chdir and then uses ./parrot (...). So I
> think this is correct.

Fixed (r8839 / r8840).

$ perl Configure.pl --prefix=/home/lt/src/p-0.2.3
$ make && make install
$ cd ~/src/p-0.2.3
$ bin/parrot parrot-config.imc prefix
/home/lt/src/p-0.2.3

leo

Adrian Lambeck

Aug 6, 2005, 9:21:12 AM8/6/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
> Fixed (r8839 / r8840).
>
> $ perl Configure.pl --prefix=/home/lt/src/p-0.2.3
> $ make && make install
> $ cd ~/src/p-0.2.3
> $ bin/parrot parrot-config.imc prefix
> /home/lt/src/p-0.2.3
>
> leo

Hi Leo,

maybe you are right but I can`t test it because:

1. jrieks got a conflict in the current svn (8843) that is not resolved so
Configure does not run (config/auto/perldoc.pl)

2. I made patches agains r8818 for the files that changed to apply to
parrot-0.2.3 but these did not work out the way I though - maybe I am missing
something. I patched parrot-config and config/gen/makefiles/root.in . Since
the other changes are about tcl I didn`t worry about that.

3. Hope I fixed the problem in config/auto/perldoc but now I get a seg. fault
during compilation :-(

Adrian

Leopold Toetsch

Aug 7, 2005, 11:28:02 AM8/7/05

On Aug 6, 2005, at 15:21, Adrian Lambeck wrote:

> 2. I made patches agains r8818 for the files that changed to apply to
> parrot-0.2.3 but these did not work out the way I though - maybe I am
> missing
> something. I patched parrot-config and config/gen/makefiles/root.in

r8841 (regarding root.in) was bogus - I dropped too much. Fixed in
r8853.

leo

Adrian Lambeck

Aug 8, 2005, 8:03:44 AM8/8/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
> r8841 (regarding root.in) was bogus - I dropped too much. Fixed in
> r8853.
agree - the svn version is working now - I updated my patch for root.in but it
still does not work :-(. Do I need to patch something else too ?

Right now I have patches for config/gen/makefiles/root.in and
parrot-config.imc . Now I get the following error (only in my self-patched
parrot-0.2.3 !)

error:imcc:No such file or directory

in file 'parrot-config.imc' line 32

so this has to do with ./runtime/parrot/include/iglobals.pasm but makes no
sense to me. Maybe you have a hint.

Adrian

Leopold Toetsch

Aug 8, 2005, 10:31:33 AM8/8/05
to Adrian Lambeck, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org

Strange. You could replace the .IGLOBALS_CONFIG_HASH with it's value (6)
(and drop the .include line) and try to track down what's wrong with:

$ bin/parrot parrot-config.imc prefix

And or course compare (again) these files, 'make realclean; perl
Configure.pl --prefix=... ; make && make install' again.

> Adrian

leo

Adrian Lambeck

Aug 12, 2005, 4:06:57 AM8/12/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
> Strange. You could replace the .IGLOBALS_CONFIG_HASH with it's value (6)
> (and drop the .include line) and try to track down what's wrong with:
>
> $ bin/parrot parrot-config.imc prefix

I did that - and the same with line 56 concerning iterator.pasm because that
also did not work. Afterwards it is working.

> And or course compare (again) these files, 'make realclean; perl
> Configure.pl --prefix=... ; make && make install' again.

There is no difference at all between these files (as I expected since I made
the patches myself).

But now I found the error - it did not work because I used a different
"--prefix" in Configure.
This has to do with the gentoo portage system. The whole compilation is run in
a sandbox and afterwards copied to the final location. I gave the sandbox
location to Configure and that is obviously wrong since parrot seems to be
using the prefix to find the absolute location of the files to include. I
found this out by moving my svn-installed copy to another location than
"prefix" and got the same error.

Thanks for your help. Now I can move on to integrate pugs and mod_parrot.

Adrian