Copyrights

Will Coleda

Jul 3, 2005, 10:46:31 AM7/3/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I was under the impression that for any code to be included in the
parrot repository, that the copyright had to be assigned to the Perl
Foundation. But there are exceptions to this throughout the
repository, even in core files like imcc/main.c (Copyright Melvin
Smith). We have a file with a Microsoft copyright in the repository.

What's the official policy? Is it documented somewhere in the
repository? (If not, can we get it documented?)

Regards.

Will Coleda

Jul 3, 2005, 10:42:48 AM7/3/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org

MrJoltCola

Jul 3, 2005, 8:09:18 PM7/3/05
to Will Coleda, perl6-i...@perl.org
I originally wrote IMCC was a separate module, and I even released it on CPAN.
For a long time it lived in languages/imcc but Leo rolled it in at some point.

Copyrighting my code does not limit my ability to contribute it to a project
under a dual copyright. I have never heard what the final decision was about
copyrights, but at some point it was a choice of Artistic, LGPL, or some other.

The only license I really have a problem with is the plain GPL, which I don't
think Perl uses anyway. When someone makes a decision, or informs me
of the existing policy, I'll be happy to commit a header that licenses all
of those files to the Perl Foundation under whatever copyright they choose.

-Melvin

Allison Randal

Jul 5, 2005, 11:03:13 PM7/5/05
to Will Coleda, perl6-i...@perl.org

The simple answer is yes, everything should be designated as copyright
The Perl Foundation.

But don't worry about it too much right now. After 12 months of work,
we just about have the standard policy hammered out with the legal
folks, and we'll do one big sweeping change sometime in the next few
months.

Thanks,
Allison