[perl #34704] [PATCH] get SDL running on win32

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Jerry Gay

unread,
Apr 7, 2005, 2:06:06 PM4/7/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by jerry gay
# Please include the string: [perl #34704]
# in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
# <URL: https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=34704 >


the attached patch gets the SDL library and examples running on win32.
please test on existing platforms by applying and running
.\parrot examples\sdl\blue_rect.imc
additionally, you may test against the minesweeper and tetris examples.
these examples start on win32, but are buggy.
~jerry

Chromatic

unread,
Apr 8, 2005, 2:40:29 PM4/8/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:06 -0700, jerry gay wrote:

> the attached patch gets the SDL library and examples running on win32.
> please test on existing platforms by applying and running
> .\parrot examples\sdl\blue_rect.imc

I don't see a patch in this mail or in RT. Can you re-send?

-- c

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 4:51:39 AM4/12/05
to jerry gay, perl6-i...@perl.org
Jerry Gay <jerr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > the attached patch gets the SDL library and examples running on win32.

Are there more Win32 libs that have the same naming conventions:

unixish: win32:
libSDL SDL

The question is, if the dynext loader should try to strip "^lib" off the
library name.

leo

Jerry Gay

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 9:33:35 AM4/12/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
On 12 Apr 2005 09:44:08 -0000, Leopold Toetsch via RT <

the convention on windows is not to include the "lib" prefix, however there
are exceptions. notably, the windows svn client, and trillian, my irc
client. centralizing the logic of loading libraries so it Just Works on any
platform makes sense to me. this should follow for other conventions on
other platforms, as well. i dunno what macOS and os2 do.
and then i could stop patching runtime libraries and move on to something
more exciting :)

> leo

~jerry

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 10:15:17 AM4/12/05
to jerry gay, Perl 6 Internals
jerry gay wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2005 09:44:08 -0000, Leopold Toetsch via RT <
> parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:

>>The question is, if the dynext loader should try to strip "^lib" off the
>>library name.
>
> the convention on windows is not to include the "lib" prefix, however there
> are exceptions.

Ok, let's try it. Please test rev 7813.

leo

Jerry Gay

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 1:59:21 PM4/12/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
On 12 Apr 2005 15:14:58 -0000, Leopold Toetsch via RT <

parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
>
> jerry gay wrote:
> > On 12 Apr 2005 09:44:08 -0000, Leopold Toetsch via RT <
> > parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
>
> >>The question is, if the dynext loader should try to strip "^lib" off the
> >>library name.
> >
> > the convention on windows is not to include the "lib" prefix, however
> there
> > are exceptions.
>
> Ok, let's try it. Please test rev 7813.

works! the win32-specific stuff can be ripped out of
runtime/library/pcre.imc && SDL.imc.
or i'll submit a patch if you'd rather.

leo

~jerry

Chromatic

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 2:09:55 PM4/12/05
to jerry gay, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 10:59 -0700, jerry gay wrote:

> works! the win32-specific stuff can be ripped out of
> runtime/library/pcre.imc && SDL.imc.
> or i'll submit a patch if you'd rather.

There shouldn't be any Win32-specific stuff in SDL.imc now. (I don't
see any.)

There's Debian-specific stuff, but that's just Debian being charmingly
itself.

If Jerry's happy, I'm happy and the RT overlords can close this ticket.

-- c

Jerry Gay

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 2:12:03 PM4/12/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
i'm happy. close the ticket.

On 12 Apr 2005 18:10:49 -0000, chromatic via RT <

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 12, 2005, 2:25:15 PM4/12/05
to chromatic, jerry gay, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
chromatic wrote:

> There's Debian-specific stuff, but that's just Debian being charmingly
> itself.

That should go away too. The canonical fix is to create the missing
symlinks and probably submit patches to debian.

leo

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages