extension PMC vs built-in

K Stol

Mar 31, 2003, 7:55:59 AM3/31/03
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hello,

I read in the vtables.pod document that is possible to create a non-built-in PMC. I assume this is to have the possibility to easily extend the runtime environment, without recompiling the VM. So, some developer can
create some extending PMCs and use those in its source (parrot asm or imcc) code.

Is it currently possible to create such PMCs? The document does not say how to create an extension PMC.
(well, I should use the "extension" keyword, but how to compile? and where to place the obj files?)

My goal is to create some set of PMCs for the language I am currently (trying to) implement(ing), which is Lua.
Of course, it would be even better and cooler when the Lua PMC's could be included in the parrot distribution, but
I don't know the policy for that (who decides that?)

I hope (there will be) / (anybody can give me) more info about this subject, I'm very interested.

Regards,
Klaas-Jan