[perl #34999] [TODO] remove more old stuff

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 15, 2005, 7:01:19 AM4/15/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Leopold Toetsch
# Please include the string: [perl #34999]

Some outdated files:

lib/Parrot/PackFile/*
lib/Parrot/PackFile.pm
lib/Parrot/PackFile2.*

what is:

lib/Parrot/String.pm old packfile code?
lib/Parrot/Types.pm same?
lib/Parrot/Key.pm same?

Do we still need:

lib/Parrot/PMC.pm
lib/Parrot/Makefile.PL

and what about the

chartypes

directory, seems to be created in lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm

Already discussed:

classes/pmc2c.pl old PMC compiler
classes/pmcarray.pmc wrapper for PerlArray

leo

Matt Diephouse

Apr 21, 2005, 7:52:47 PM4/21/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
Now that we're using SVN,

Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Some outdated files:
>
> lib/Parrot/PackFile/*
> lib/Parrot/PackFile.pm
> lib/Parrot/PackFile2.*
>
> what is:
>
> lib/Parrot/String.pm old packfile code?
> lib/Parrot/Types.pm same?
> lib/Parrot/Key.pm same?

All the above files appear to be remnants of disassemble.pl, which was
deleted in the repository 20 months ago. grep'ing the repository
turned up no additional references (`grep -r 'Parrot::Packfile'
parrot/ | perl -ne 'print if !/.svn/'`). These should be able to be
removed.

> Do we still need:
>
> lib/Parrot/PMC.pm

Yes. This is an autogenerated file used both for the PMC compiler and
for testing purposes.

> lib/Parrot/Makefile.PL

This is the Makefile for lib/Parrot/Pakfile2.pm (and
lib/Parrot/Pakfile2.xs), which is not referenced anywhere. I think all
3 of these files can be removed.

> and what about the
>
> chartypes
>
> directory, seems to be created in lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm

This appears to be a remnant of the long distant past (pre ICU).
There's only one file that mentions it outside of
lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm, and that's the ChangeLog, which lists
several files in the chartypes/ directory from the days of simon.

> Already discussed:
>
> classes/pmc2c.pl old PMC compiler

Already removed.

> classes/pmcarray.pmc wrapper for PerlArray

I'm not sure what was discussed here.

--
matt diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com

William Coleda

Apr 21, 2005, 8:47:57 PM4/21/05
to ma...@diephouse.com, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org

Matt Diephouse wrote:

> Leopold Toetsch wrote:
>> classes/pmcarray.pmc wrapper for PerlArray
>

> I'm not sure what was discussed here.

I believe this is a remnant from before it was decided that we'd use "Resizable" and "Fixed" for container types; Anything that's using PMCArray should be switched to ResizablePMCArray (or FixedPMCArray if that's all it needs) (or, if that fails due to an unimplemented feature, to PerlArray, with a TODO to add the appropriate functionality to ResizablePMCArray)

Regards.

Bernhard Schmalhofer via RT

Apr 27, 2005, 2:55:33 PM4/27/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
> > Some outdated files:
> >
> > lib/Parrot/PackFile/*
> > lib/Parrot/PackFile.pm
> > lib/Parrot/PackFile2.*
> >
> > what is:
> >
> > lib/Parrot/String.pm old packfile code?
> > lib/Parrot/Types.pm same?
> > lib/Parrot/Key.pm same?
>
> All the above files appear to be remnants of disassemble.pl.
These are now gone

> > Do we still need:
> >
> > lib/Parrot/PMC.pm
> Yes. This is an autogenerated file used both for the PMC compiler and
> for testing purposes.

Alive and kicking.

> > lib/Parrot/Makefile.PL
>
> This is the Makefile for lib/Parrot/Pakfile2.pm (and
> lib/Parrot/Pakfile2.xs), which is not referenced anywhere

Gone.

> > and what about the
> >
> > chartypes
> >
> > directory, seems to be created in lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm
>
> This appears to be a remnant of the long distant past (pre ICU).
> There's only one file that mentions it outside of
> lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm,

No longer mentioned in Distribution.pm.

> > classes/pmc2c.pl old PMC compiler
>
> Already removed.
>
> > classes/pmcarray.pmc wrapper for PerlArray

Was already removed.

As everything seems to be taken care of, I'll close this ticket.

--
/* Bernhard.S...@gmx.de */