Question regarding JIT

Millsa Erlas

May 9, 2005, 8:17:42 PM5/9/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I heard that Parrot has a JIT compiler. If I understand this correctly,
does this mean Parrot bytecode is converted to native machine hardware
code before execution? If so, it is a good idea.

JIT is great, however, will it still be possible to run the Parrot
bytecode on the interpretor?

Also, does the native machine code make calls to the Parrot VM, for
thinks like storing variables, calling subroutines, and so on? This
makes sense, since Parrot can still manage memory allocation, and other
things for the machine code.

Leopold Toetsch

May 10, 2005, 5:14:48 AM5/10/05
to Millsa Erlas, perl6-i...@perl.org
Millsa Erlas <millu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I heard that Parrot has a JIT compiler. If I understand this correctly,
> does this mean Parrot bytecode is converted to native machine hardware
> code before execution? If so, it is a good idea.

Yes, if the platform has the necessary code at least.

> JIT is great, however, will it still be possible to run the Parrot
> bytecode on the interpretor?

Sure. Parrot has multiple different run loops, JIT ableit not being a
real loop is just one of them.

> Also, does the native machine code make calls to the Parrot VM, for
> thinks like storing variables, calling subroutines, and so on? This
> makes sense, since Parrot can still manage memory allocation, and other
> things for the machine code.

Yep. Basically all opcodes that aren't available as native JITed
versions are executed in the plain run core.

leo