Re: Parrot <-> Java integration

Matt Fowles

Aug 16, 2005, 10:33:48 AM8/16/05
to Tim Bunce, Internals List
Tim~

On 8/15/05, Tim Bunce <Tim....@pobox.com> wrote:
> Anyone given any thought to Parrot <-> Java integration?
>
> Possible?

Definitely.

> Practical?

You would likely lose some speed, but that is really all.

> How much would would be involved?

Not a whole lot more than making a java compiler for anything else.
But it would still be the somewhat large undertaking of making a java
compiler. (Yes, this is a bit of a duck cause I don't know specifics)

Matt
--
"Computer Science is merely the post-Turing Decline of Formal Systems Theory."
-Stan Kelly-Bootle, The Devil's DP Dictionary

Tim Bunce

Nattfodd

Aug 16, 2005, 10:39:06 AM8/16/05
to Tim Bunce, perl6-i...@perl.org
Tim Bunce wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, it's even one of the summer of code projects (see
http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/2005-googlesoc.html and
http://www.perlfoundation.org/news/2005/socperljavaintegration.html).

May be should you drag David Rusek to p6i :)

Alexandre

Tim Bunce

Aug 17, 2005, 6:23:31 AM8/17/05
to Nattfodd, Tim Bunce, perl6-i...@perl.org, David Rusek, Patrick LeBoutillier
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 04:39:06PM +0200, Nattfodd wrote:
> Tim Bunce wrote:
>
> >Anyone given any thought to Parrot <-> Java integration?
> >
> >Possible?
> >Practical?
> >How much would would be involved?
> >
> >Tim.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, it's even one of the summer of code projects (see
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/2005-googlesoc.html and
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/news/2005/socperljavaintegration.html).

I'd looked at that and it's certainly interesting, but it's focused on
Perl 5, like Inline::Java.

> May be should you drag David Rusek to p6i :)

I've CC David, and also Patrick LeBoutillier, author of Inline::Java.

Hi Dave. Any news on progress? (The last blog update was several weeks
ago and the code repository's isn't available yet.)

Hello Patrick. Would you be interested in working on Parrot <-> Java
integration?

Tim.

Autrijus Tang

Aug 17, 2005, 1:01:35 PM8/17/05
to Tim Bunce, Internals List
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:07:22PM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:
> Anyone given any thought to Parrot <-> Java integration?

I have been looking at IKVM:

http://www.ikvm.net/

It's basically a full Java environment but using CLR instead of
JVM as the underlying runtime. The JIT conversion from Java
bytecode to CIL is very interesting. It's already reasonably
mature for serious applications.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/