Pugs now embeds Parrot.

1 view

Autrijus Tang

May 3, 2005, 3:39:45 PM5/3/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Because I want to embed PGE in Pugs, I end up embedding the
entire libparrot. :-)

As of two hours ago, if you set the PUGS_EMBED environment
variable to "parrot" and run perl Makefile.PL, Pugs will
build and link against Parrot, and provide a require_parrot()
primitive for you. JIT works as one owuld expecte, too.

Jeff Horwitz (of mod_parrot and more recently, mod_pugs fame)
is now hacking away on hooking Pugs's IMC generator with
the embedded Parrot, so we can have on-the-fly compilation
without the need to call external "pugscc".

In other news, the Grin intermediate language used by JHC
Haskell compiler looks very promising:

http://repetae.net/john/computer/jhc/jhc.html

Jhc's Grin -> C compiler is only some 300 lines long, and
unlike GHC, it does not link against a runtime system (RTS),
so it should be relatively straightforward to make a
Grin -> Parrot compiler -- or even a Grin -> Perl 6 compiler.

Once that happens, we can then recompile Pugs with it, and
finish the circle of bootstrapping. There are many other
bootstrapping routes, but this one looks interesting. :-)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Rob Kinyon

May 3, 2005, 3:46:54 PM5/3/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
Will this change remove the need for pugscc to be cygpath'ed on
cygwin? Or, should I go ahead and work on this?

Rob

Autrijus Tang

May 3, 2005, 3:55:17 PM5/3/05
to Rob Kinyon, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 03:46:54PM -0400, Rob Kinyon wrote:
> Will this change remove the need for pugscc to be cygpath'ed on
> cygwin? Or, should I go ahead and work on this?

Please go ahead -- pugscc will still be needed to create
native executables without using parrot.

Thanks,
/Autirjus/