Pugs to become a Perl6 -> Parrot AST/IMC compiler.

Autrijus Tang

Mar 28, 2005, 2:31:05 PM3/28/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org, perl6-i...@perl.org
After a IRC meeting with Leo, I've outlined my roadmap of how to make the three
compiler backends in Pugs to work in concert to provide a much faster evaluator:

http://use.perl.org/~autrijus/journal/23890

Note that existing code in the Eval monad need not be rewritten; also
Pugs will still run Perl 6 code without a parrot installation, by
compiling IMC to Haskell on the fly and executing it.

More details and code will follow shortly; suggestions and feedbacks to
this plan are very welcome!

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Millsa Erlas

Mar 31, 2005, 9:42:26 PM3/31/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org, perl6-i...@perl.org

This sounds great, wonderful! I think that having a Perl 6 compiler that
targets Parrot is extremely exciting, and I am quite excited to hear
about it. I was wondering when Pugs would target Parrot and I am very
happy to hear that this now will happen. It will be great thing to
finally have Perl 6 compiling to Parrot realised. Please keep up the
great work and you have my encouragement, thanks, and gratefulness for
this. Your work is greatly appreciated, please keep up the great work.