directory re-orgs

Stevan Little

Apr 1, 2005, 7:00:32 PM4/1/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
Since it seems everyone is asleep, I figured I would email this to the
list instead of just blurt it on IRC.

I noticed that mugwump moved the perl6 ext/ modules (all except for
Test actually) to modules/. His reasoning on IRC:

<mugwump> I'm renaming stevan's modules into modules/, ext/ is for
stuff that doesn't run in pugs like the Perl 5 stuff... maybe. hmm

However ext/ also includes the perl6 Test module, what looks to be a
Haskell based Kwid extension (is this still active?) and collection of
misc. documentation in Pugs-Documentation, none of which are really
perl5 related and some of which certainly runs in Pugs (and power the
entire test suite). The general rule which I was going by for this was
that modules/ was perl6 code which didn't currently run and ext/ was
for perl6 code which did currently run (and other stuff).

Now, I am actually in favor of re-organizing things, as I think the
source tree is definitely getting a little chaotic in places. But I
would like to discuss it first.

First what we need:

- a folder for working perl6 modules such as Test, FileSpec and such.
- a folder for non-working perl6 modules such as what is in modules/
right now

Of course as time goes on, and Pugs gets more mature, modules will move
from the non-working to the working directories. I assume as well that
this two directory layout will make it easier for 'make' to determine
what Perl6 modules are installed and what are not (although my 'make'
knowledge is very limited so it may not have any bearing).

We also need:

- a folder for perl5 modules which are needed by Pugs to work
(Pugs-MakeMaker)
- a folder for perl5 modules which are not needed by Pugs but are part
of the Pugs effort (Perldoc)
- a folder for non-perl extensions to Pugs (such as the haskell based
Kwid modules and the c-based SHA extension)

I am not sure the best names for these directories, I will leave that
open to discussion for now, but I think we should figure this out soon
and document it so we all know where things should go. At least that is
until ingy gets FreePAN up and running and we can start putting
perl6/pugs code up there.

Thanks,

- Stevan

Autrijus Tang

Apr 1, 2005, 8:00:55 PM4/1/05
to Stevan Little, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 07:00:32PM -0500, Stevan Little wrote:
> First what we need:
>
> - a folder for working perl6 modules such as Test, FileSpec and such.

Let's call it ext/. In the future we may factor them out to FreePAN.
In particular, I think Pugs-Documentation still belongs to ext/.

> - a folder for non-working perl6 modules such as what is in modules/
> right now

Let's still call it modules/.

> - a folder for perl5 modules which are needed by Pugs to work
> (Pugs-MakeMaker)

That would be simply lib/Pugs/MakeMaker.pm.

> - a folder for perl5 modules which are not needed by Pugs but are part
> of the Pugs effort (Perldoc)

That should become separate CPAN distributions, really. If they are
to stay in the source tree, maybe contrib/.

> - a folder for non-perl extensions to Pugs (such as the haskell based
> Kwid modules and the c-based SHA extension)

If they are working, they stay in ext/; otherwise modules/. That means
both of them are now modules/ material.

Does that sound sane?

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Steven Schubiger

Apr 1, 2005, 8:07:52 PM4/1/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
On 2 Apr, Autrijus Tang wrote:

: Does that sound sane?

Yes; definitely more sane than my "suggestion".

Steven Schubiger

Steven Schubiger

Apr 1, 2005, 7:25:20 PM4/1/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
On 1 Apr, Stevan Little wrote:

: - a folder for working perl6 modules such as Test, FileSpec and such.

Out of curiosity, shouldn't that be lib?

: - a folder for non-working perl6 modules such as what is in modules/
: right now

I don't understand.

: - a folder for perl5 modules which are needed by Pugs to work
: (Pugs-MakeMaker)

modulesreq

: - a folder for perl5 modules which are not needed by Pugs but are part

: of the Pugs effort (Perldoc)

modulesopt

: - a folder for non-perl extensions to Pugs (such as the haskell based

: Kwid modules and the c-based SHA extension)

modulesext

: I am not sure the best names for these directories

I'm neither.

Steven Schubiger