Re: can't build pugs with parrot support

Autrijus Tang

May 28, 2005, 4:45:44 PM5/28/05
to vadim, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:04:29AM -0400, vadim wrote:
> Additionally, excerpt from error message 'dated 2005-05-21 or later' is
> probably wrong, because latest archive on that FTP is dated 20050501.

You'd probably need to pull a later version from hs-plugin's darcs
repository:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hs-plugins

I have fixed the URL in README and Makefile.PL.

Thanks!
/Autrijus/

Vadim

May 29, 2005, 1:08:58 PM5/29/05
to Autrijus Tang, perl6-c...@perl.org

> You'd probably need to pull a later version from hs-plugin's darcs
> repository:
>
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hs-plugins

ok, thank for advice, now I'm in process of installing this.

However even with elder hs-plugins parrot and perl support was installed
fine; (looks like I only missed inline Haskell supoprt).

While 'pugs' binary is a bit larger than 7Mb, 'pugs' with support of
parrot and perl is only a bit smaller than 20M. Am I understanding
correctly that both Perl and Parrot get statically built into binary?

Best regards,
Vadim.

Autrijus Tang

May 29, 2005, 1:54:59 PM5/29/05
to vadim, Autrijus Tang, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 01:08:58PM -0400, vadim wrote:
> While 'pugs' binary is a bit larger than 7Mb, 'pugs' with support of
> parrot and perl is only a bit smaller than 20M. Am I understanding
> correctly that both Perl and Parrot get statically built into binary?

That is correct.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Vadim

May 29, 2005, 11:04:46 PM5/29/05
to Autrijus Tang, perl6-c...@perl.org
> > While 'pugs' binary is a bit larger than 7Mb, 'pugs' with support of
> > parrot and perl is only a bit smaller than 20M. Am I understanding
> > correctly that both Perl and Parrot get statically built into binary?
>
> That is correct.

thanks!

BTW it is quite convenient to have an independent binary that could be
just copied and then used.
IMHO 20Mb is somewhat huge for a binary, and perfectly good for
development purposes.

Thanks for showing an interesting development area! However it is sooo
large, that could be hardly be followed in a just in spare time basis.

Applauses x 1000.

Best regards,
Vadim.