YAML test output

Nathan Gray

Mar 25, 2005, 8:31:38 PM3/25/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
I was wondering if I should switch my test log output to YAML, or some
more parseable format. Or maybe change output format based on the log
file extension? The problem, of course, is not to encumber Test.pm with
anything heavy, and no extra dependencies.

Any thoughts, especially from Stevan et al.

You can see the current format if you turn on test file logging, by
setting the TEST_LOG_FILE environment variable before running make test.

export TEST_LOG_FILE=test.log
make test
vi test.log

-kolibrie

Stevan Little

Mar 25, 2005, 9:58:54 PM3/25/05
to Nathan Gray, perl6-c...@perl.org
Nathan,

On Mar 25, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Nathan Gray wrote:
> I was wondering if I should switch my test log output to YAML, or some
> more parseable format. Or maybe change output format based on the log
> file extension? The problem, of course, is not to encumber Test.pm
> with
> anything heavy, and no extra dependencies.

Take a look at the util/yaml_harness.pl file. It uses
Test::Harness::Straps
to collect output, which it transforms into YAML. This is actually just
one
piece of a larger test-cataloging/synopsis-linking/smoke-testing
sub-project
which is being worked on mostly by nothingmuch, theorbtwo and gaal (I
have
contributes ideas and thoughts, but not too much code (yet)).

Basically we took the test-log idea and ran with it and mixed it in
with the
test-cataloging idea :)

> Any thoughts, especially from Stevan et al.

I would encourage you to take a look at the scripts in util/ (this is
currently
where they all reside) and contact (nothingmuch | theorbtwo | gaal) and
see if
there is anything you can help on. The util/yaml_harness.pl file
actually has
a small TODO list at the top of it.

- Stevan