Re: segfaults with rules

Patrick R. Michaud

May 12, 2005, 1:35:55 PM5/12/05
to Juerd, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 06:45:18PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> There's a huge rule at http://juerd.nl/bigrule.txt
>
> Why it was created and what it is for is irrelevant. It's hard to
> explain.
>
> Any attempt of using it takes very long (Perl 5 executes the equivalent
> thousands of times per second), and eventually segfaults.

Well, note that PGE is still very unoptimized at the moment -- so
many optimizations that Perl 5's engine has built up over a decade
of development simply may not exist yet in PGE. It doesn't surprise
me if it runs very slowly -- we'll build in the various optimizations
as we go (and we need more tests like this one to find
the places worth optimizing!).

That said, I've tried compiling the rule in PGE and it turns out
that at least the compilation phase is currently taking a very
long time -- before the rule even attempts a match. Again, this
is not too surprising given the current construction of PGE's parser;
the ultimate plan is for PGE's parser to be rewritten more efficently
as P6 rules, but we just haven't gotten there yet. I'm still
bootstrapping... :-)

Anyway, this is an excellent test, I'll see what I can do to get
PGE to parse and execute it in a reasonable timeframe.

Pm

Juerd

May 12, 2005, 12:45:18 PM5/12/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org
There's a huge rule at http://juerd.nl/bigrule.txt

Why it was created and what it is for is irrelevant. It's hard to
explain.

Any attempt of using it takes very long (Perl 5 executes the equivalent
thousands of times per second), and eventually segfaults.

An example of a matching word is "chins". An example of a non-matching
word is "parrot".

(I'm not on this list, please CC)

Juerd