Re: Perl development server

Rob Kinyon

May 23, 2005, 11:22:32 AM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
> If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
> password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
> the chance.

I'd like one.

> The box won't have an SVN mirror unless someone puts it there. There
> won't be a smoke test unless someone writes the script. It's a community
> machine, and users are expected to fill in the details.

Maybe we should divvy these tasks out. It wouldn't do that have two
people smoke-testing on the exact same machine or to have two SVN
mirrors ...

> Also, this new machine needs a hostname. Please help me think of a cute
> name! I prefer a short hostname with less than 9 letters.

dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...

Rob

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 23, 2005, 11:40:17 AM5/23/05
to Juerd, Rob Kinyon, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi,

>> I'd like one.
>
> Sure - just think of a nice catchy username! :)

I'd like another one, as "boogie". I think now, that I will use it, but I
have a lot of jobs these days, with higher priorities :( than Perl6.

>> dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...
>
> Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
> something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
> better be CNAMEs.

I can offer a subdomain of perl6.hu, too - as a CNAME. ;)

I think, the cute name can be about animals. A camel and a parrot are in
my mind.

Or what about camelseeks.org/perlseeks.org? It sounds like camel6 and
perl6.

Bye,
Andras

Rob Kinyon

May 23, 2005, 11:39:55 AM5/23/05
On 5/23/05, Juerd <ju...@convolution.nl> wrote:
> Rob Kinyon skribis 2005-05-23 11:22 (-0400):

> > I'd like one.
>
> Sure - just think of a nice catchy username! :)

robkinyon please - it's catchy enough.

> > Maybe we should divvy these tasks out. It wouldn't do that have two
> > people smoke-testing on the exact same machine or to have two SVN
> > mirrors ...
>

> Good idea, will you take the task of managing these decisions?

Unfortunately, I have no tuits, otherwise I would love to. Porting
PREFIX from EU::MM to M::B is going to take all of my available time,
assuming I have any after the baby's born.

Rob

Autrijus Tang

May 23, 2005, 11:51:45 AM5/23/05
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:25:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> > dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...
>
> Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
> something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
> better be CNAMEs.

How about dev.perl6.nl -- I'll CNAME dev.pugscode.org there.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Thomas Klausner

May 23, 2005, 12:03:08 PM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi!

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Juerd wrote:

> Everyone who wants, can get a login.

me too! 'domm' please.

> Also, this new machine needs a hostname. Please help me think of a cute
> name! I prefer a short hostname with less than 9 letters.

onion

Access to this machine would also be handy for participants of the Austrian
Perl Workshop Parrot/Pugs hack-a-thon:
http://conferences.yapceurope.org/apw2005
While I will inform everyone what
they need, I'm sure quite a lot people will show up without a fresh checkout
of the various repositories. So if I can get a number of dummy accounts (to
be deleted after the event) that would be great!

BTW, will all users on this machine share one svn working copy or is
everyone supposed to to his/her own checkout? Or is this one of the things
someone should organise?

--
#!/usr/bin/perl http://domm.zsi.at

Wolverian

May 23, 2005, 11:54:03 AM5/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Hi,

Hello :)

> because I see some people struggle to get things like GHC working, and
> then to get make and a compiler working, and because some people have
> limited bandwidth which makes big svn updates a less pleasant
> experience, and for other reasons, I decided to have my company,
> Convolution, sponsor a shell server.

Lots of thanks for this. A dedicated server will make my life easier, at
least.

> If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
> password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
> the chance.

I'd like a login, username wolverian. Thanks!

> Please let me know which software you want installed. If it's in Debian
> and doesn't conflict with other software, you can have it (but no X or
> openoffice, or the like). If it's not in Debian, you'll have to compile
> it yourself.

All I need are the basics - vim, scp. I think those are installed by
default, anyway. A perl-enabled version of vim would be nice.

--
wolverian

signature.asc

Stevan Little

May 23, 2005, 12:00:14 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Juerd,

I would like an account too, username 'stevan' please.

On May 23, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Juerd wrote:
>> dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...
>
> Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
> something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
> better be CNAMEs.

lambdacamels.perl6.nl?

Stevan

> Juerd
> --
> http://convolution.nl/maak_juerd_blij.html
> http://convolution.nl/make_juerd_happy.html
> http://convolution.nl/gajigu_juerd_n.html

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 23, 2005, 12:25:59 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi,

> Thomas Klausner skribis 2005-05-23 18:03 (+0200):

>> While I will inform everyone what they need, I'm sure quite a lot
>> people will show up without a fresh checkout of the various
>> repositories. So if I can get a number of dummy accounts (to be
>> deleted after the event) that would be great!
>

> hackathon1..hackathon9, or do you need more?

>> BTW, will all users on this machine share one svn working copy or is
>> everyone supposed to to his/her own checkout? Or is this one of the things
>> someone should organise?
>

> There may be a local mirror to minimize bandwidth (if someone arranges
> this to happen), but every uses should have their own working copy,
> because otherwise versioning systems don't work too well: you would be
> committing someone else's changes, for which you don't know a good log
> entry, and the logs no longer show the correct user names.

I think that, for hacking there's no need for users on a remote machine,
if the hackers has a computer, they can develop locally, has a repo
locally. Or if you can offer computers locally, you can install an
environment for them (or maybe you would like to take out these installs
with this server?).

If there will be new projects starting there, then it would be nice to
share them with a server for other people, to get it after the conference,
and join. But it needs an SVN server, at least, and an easy to setup plain
project site skeleton. I think it would be nice, if somebody can prepare
these tools for both Hackathon, and for other people as well.

Bye,
Andras

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 23, 2005, 12:30:47 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, BÁRTHÁZI András, Rob Kinyon, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi,

>> I think, the cute name can be about animals. A camel and a parrot are in
>> my mind.
>

> Parrot can't be, because that's also the name of one of the projects,
> and I want to avoid confusion.

I just thinking something related these animals, not the animal. Maybe
feather, etc. It's not the big idea itself. ;)

> Camel -- sorry, but years of Perl still haven't convinced me they are
> cute animals :) Besides, it feels wrong to see a camel in Perl context
> without the text "used with permission". (Even though that is only
> required with images)

I have no these thoughts about camel, but it's your decision. However, I
like "onion", what Thomas recommended.

>> Or what about camelseeks.org/perlseeks.org? It sounds like camel6 and
>> perl6.
>

> The domain already exists, but if you want to register additional
> domains, go right ahead. Ask me for DNS information later.

You mean, that you would like to create a subdomain for perl6.nl?

Bye,
András

Nathan Gray

May 23, 2005, 2:15:42 PM5/23/05
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 06:51:31PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Nathan Gray skribis 2005-05-23 12:50 (-0400):

> > Juerd, why am I getting everyone's responses, but not your original
> > messages?
>
> I have no idea. I'm sending these messages to the two mailing lists, and
> from there on, I can't track where they're going (or not)

Got this one. Weird.

-kolibrie

Nathan Gray

May 23, 2005, 12:50:16 PM5/23/05
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:00:14PM -0400, Stevan Little wrote:
> On May 23, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Juerd wrote:
> >>dev.pugscode.org seems indicated ...
> >
> >Sorry, but 'dev' isn't cute enough :). And it's going to be
> >something.perl6.nl, probably. I don't mind aliases, though, but they
> >better be CNAMEs.

Juerd, why am I getting everyone's responses, but not your original
messages?

> lambdacamels.perl6.nl?

That's catchy, and we could all remember it. Or in keeping with the
Tolkien theme, there's always:

silmaril.perl6.nl
valinor.perl6.nl

or some such.

-kolibrie

Nathan Gray

May 23, 2005, 10:14:29 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-c...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Everyone who wants, can get a login. Access is provided via SSH version
> 2 only (Windows users can use PuTTY and WinSCP), and the box may be used
> for everything that improves Perl 6 development. Users are encouraged to
> keep files world readable for transparency.

> If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
> password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
> the chance.

May I have an account name 'kolibrie'?

> Please let me know which software you want installed. If it's in Debian
> and doesn't conflict with other software, you can have it (but no X or
> openoffice, or the like). If it's not in Debian, you'll have to compile
> it yourself.

I tend to like to have a copy of 'darcs' on-hand, and I really like
'screen'.

Thanks for this great service to the Perl6 community!

-kolibrie

Nathan Gray

May 23, 2005, 9:55:37 PM5/23/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 06:51:31PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Nathan Gray skribis 2005-05-23 12:50 (-0400):
> > Juerd, why am I getting everyone's responses, but not your original
> > messages?
>
> I have no idea. I'm sending these messages to the two mailing lists, and
> from there on, I can't track where they're going (or not)

Ah, here they all come. p6c must have taken longer than p6l.

-kolibrie

Benjamin Smith

May 24, 2005, 6:12:58 AM5/24/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:25:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Rob Kinyon skribis 2005-05-23 11:22 (-0400):
> > I'd like one.
>
> Sure - just think of a nice catchy username! :)

I'd like "bsmith". Thanks :-)

> > Maybe we should divvy these tasks out. It wouldn't do that have two
> > people smoke-testing on the exact same machine or to have two SVN
> > mirrors ...
>

> Good idea, will you take the task of managing these decisions?

I'd like to volunteer to setup the SVN/SVK mirror.

Software wise can I ask for:

* svk
* vim
* screen
* cron

--
Benjamin Smith <bsm...@vtrl.co.uk, benjami...@yahoo.co.uk>

Roger Hale

May 24, 2005, 6:02:18 AM5/24/05
Juerd wrote:
> If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
> password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
> the chance.

I would like an account, name 'spinclad'.

The need for svn, ghc and such has finally pushed me to upgrade my home
debian box to sarge, and I'm still looking for a package with ghc6.4, or
the tuits to build one myself. (Doubtless someone will point me to an
overlooked message announcing one months back...) I think having a
joint testbed machine to look over, test things, compare with home, and
help with would be a good use of my time at this point.

> Also, this new machine needs a hostname. Please help me think of a cute
> name! I prefer a short hostname with less than 9 letters.

I like onion, too... maybe 'geode' later, when perl6 has been cast in
stone. (Though then we wouldn't need a dev server...)

Regards,
Roger Hale
<r...@theworld.com>

Juerd

May 24, 2005, 6:12:57 AM5/24/05
to Roger Hale, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Roger Hale skribis 2005-05-24 6:02 (-0400):

> I would like an account, name 'spinclad'.

Sure.

> The need for svn, ghc and such has finally pushed me to upgrade my home
> debian box to sarge, and I'm still looking for a package with ghc6.4, or
> the tuits to build one myself.

Get ghc-cvs from sid. Don't use sarge if you want to use recent
software.

> I like onion, too... maybe 'geode' later, when perl6 has been cast in
> stone. (Though then we wouldn't need a dev server...)

Unfortunately, onion is already taken by another important Perl server:
onion.perl.org.

I'm currently considering 'ui', which is Dutch for 'onion'. I bet almost
nobody here knows how to pronounce ui ;)

Benjamin Smith

May 24, 2005, 6:21:49 AM5/24/05
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:12:58AM +0100, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> * svk
> * vim
> * screen
> * cron

* haddock

Wolverian

May 24, 2005, 8:01:20 AM5/24/05
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:12:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> I'm currently considering 'ui', which is Dutch for 'onion'. I bet almost
> nobody here knows how to pronounce ui ;)

That reads 'user interface' to me, which I think isn't what we want.

How about 'sipuli'? That's what onion is called in Finnish. :)

Anyway, I do think the name should be English, to be as accessible as
possible. 'Feather' is nice, and reminds me of Pugs's origins. On the
other hand, maybe 'falcon' (as terribly cliched as it is) is more
accurate of Pugs nowadays.

--
wolverian

signature.asc

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 24, 2005, 8:22:16 AM5/24/05
to wolverian, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Hi,

Just to know, onion in Hungarian is "hagyma". ;)

Bye,
Andras

Carl Mäsak

May 24, 2005, 8:57:42 AM5/24/05
to Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões, wolverian, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Note how close to Finnish it is.

Portuguese: cebola
Finnish: sipoli

Might be a coincidence, but might also be a borrowed word.

// Carl

On 5/24/05, Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões <al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> wrote:
> Onian in Portuguese: cebola (in case any of you wonder)

> Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
> Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

Wolverian

May 24, 2005, 9:06:15 AM5/24/05
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:57:42PM +0200, Carl Mäsak wrote:
> Note how close to Finnish it is.
>
> Portuguese: cebola
> Finnish: sipoli
>
> Might be a coincidence, but might also be a borrowed word.

(This is extremely OT for the list.)

That's 'sipuli', actually.

I'm not sure (I'm not an etymologist), but there might be a common root
in the latin name - Allium _cepa_ Linnaeus. It seems to have had
multiple common latin names in the past, most of them based on 'cepa'.
'Cepae' is remarkably close to Finnish, although the ending is
different.

(Finnish in general has some _very_ old forms of words that have
degenerated ages ago in other languages.)

--
wolverian

signature.asc

JensBeimSurfen

May 24, 2005, 9:11:43 AM5/24/05
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 15:06, wolverian wrote:
> in the latin name - Allium _cepa_ Linnaeus.
What about "cepa" as name?

BTW, it's "Zwiebel" in german ;-)

Jonathan Scott Duff

May 24, 2005, 9:54:38 AM5/24/05
to Juerd, Roger Hale, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:12:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Unfortunately, onion is already taken by another important Perl server:
> onion.perl.org.
>
> I'm currently considering 'ui', which is Dutch for 'onion'. I bet almost
> nobody here knows how to pronounce ui ;)

What about another herb like garlic? Throw in some meat and vegetables
and we've got a good stew going :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
du...@pobox.com

Rob Kinyon

May 24, 2005, 10:38:32 AM5/24/05
to Michele Dondi, Herbert Snorrason, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On 5/24/05, Michele Dondi <bla...@pcteor1.mi.infn.it> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2005, Herbert Snorrason wrote:
>
> > Icelandic: laukur (Incidentally, none of you will ever guess how to
> > correctly pronounce that.)
>
> Incidentally, would 'laukurdottir' be a proper Icelandic offence? :-)

"daughter of an onion" ??

I can't be translating that right ...

Rob

Carl Mäsak

May 24, 2005, 10:09:48 AM5/24/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Esperanto: cepo (though that's probably not a data point)

// Carl

On 5/24/05, Michele Dondi <bla...@pcteor1.mi.infn.it> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005, wolverian wrote:
>
> >> Portuguese: cebola
> >> Finnish: sipoli
>
> Italian: cipolla (since nobody has mentioned it yet)
>

> Michele
> --
> It was part of the dissatisfaction thing. I never claimed I was a
> nice person.
> - David Kastrup in comp.text.tex, "Re: verbatiminput double spacing"

Herbert Snorrason

May 24, 2005, 10:30:02 AM5/24/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
Icelandic: laukur (Incidentally, none of you will ever guess how to
correctly pronounce that.)

--
Schwäche zeigen heißt verlieren;
härte heißt regieren.

Herbert Snorrason

May 24, 2005, 10:41:42 AM5/24/05
to Michele Dondi, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On 24/05/05, Michele Dondi <bla...@pcteor1.mi.infn.it> wrote:
> Incidentally, would 'laukurdottir' be a proper Icelandic offence? :-)

It'd be 'lauksdóttir' (due to declension) and mean 'daughter of an
onion'. If nothing else, it would make people look at you in a funny
way... ;)

John Macdonald

May 24, 2005, 12:27:05 PM5/24/05
to Juerd, Roger Hale, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:12:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> Unfortunately, onion is already taken by another important Perl server:
> onion.perl.org.
>
> I'm currently considering 'ui', which is Dutch for 'onion'. I bet almost
> nobody here knows how to pronounce ui ;)

For a development machine, the yiddish pronunciation would
work well. That would make it sound like OY! :-)

Jeroen Van Goey

May 24, 2005, 1:01:38 PM5/24/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org, perl-perl...@moderators.isc.org
I'd like an account too, "biogeek" please.

Since my interest is bioinformatics, I intend to start playing with
Perl6 by translating some code from the book "Mastering Perl for
Bioinformatics" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mperlbio/).

As server name, I'd lee to propose one of the Australian mammals that
was featured on the recent Perl6 Mascot Poll at Perlmonks: the numbat
(http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t628/T628228A.jpg
Check out the picture, it has six distinctive white stripes, could it
be any more appropriate?)

Marco Romano

May 26, 2005, 11:17:01 AM5/26/05
to perl...@perl.org, Juerd, perl6-c...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org
Hi All!

> If you want access, please let me know. I will send you a temporary
> password by e-mail, that I expect you to change the first time you get
> the chance.

May i have an account name "nemux" ? Thanks!

Marco.

Vadim Konovalov

May 27, 2005, 3:50:35 AM5/27/05
to Herbert Snorrason, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
> Icelandic: laukur (Incidentally, none of you will ever guess how to
> correctly pronounce that.)

Russian: luk (pronounced similar to English "look"). For some reason,
Icelandic translation of onion is much closer to Russian than any other
variants...

Roger Hale

Jun 18, 2005, 8:17:45 AM6/18/05
to perl6-c...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org

The English leek is another cognate (as a word, of the laukr; as a
plant, of the onion)...