spelling error in h2xs README

Sean O'Rourke

May 26, 2002, 9:33:50 PM5/26/02
to perl5-...@perl.org
I just noticed that "LICENSE" is spelled "LICENCE" in the default README
generated by h2xs in 5.6.1. While it's a trivial thing, it turns out a
surprisingly large number of new modules on CPAN suffer the effects; I
guess ispell is less widely available than I had though. Is the error
fixed in pre-5.8.0?

/s

Nicholas Clark

May 27, 2002, 4:32:11 AM5/27/02
to Sean O'Rourke, perl5-...@perl.org

My ispell is quite happy with "LICENCE"
[UK English spelling is ....CE as the noun, ....SE as the verb for most,
if not all similar words]

> fixed in pre-5.8.0?

It might be sensible to standardise on US English spelling in the README.
Or it might be more DWIM to opt based on the timezone
(Simplest I could think of 00:00 and ahead to UK English, -01:00 onwards to
US)

Nicholas Clark

Nick Ing-Simmons

May 27, 2002, 4:45:07 AM5/27/02
to ni...@ccl4.org, Sean O'Rourke, perl5-...@perl.org
Nicholas Clark <ni...@ccl4.org> writes:
>On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:33:50PM -0700, Sean O'Rourke wrote:
>> I just noticed that "LICENSE" is spelled "LICENCE" in the default README
>> generated by h2xs in 5.6.1. While it's a trivial thing, it turns out a
>> surprisingly large number of new modules on CPAN suffer the effects; I
>> guess ispell is less widely available than I had though. Is the error
>
>My ispell is quite happy with "LICENCE"
>[UK English spelling is ....CE as the noun, ....SE as the verb for most,
>if not all similar words]
>
>> fixed in pre-5.8.0?
>
>It might be sensible to standardise on US English spelling in the README.

There seems to be a british spelling bias in perl - or at least in
pumpkings ;-)

>Or it might be more DWIM to opt based on the timezone
>(Simplest I could think of 00:00 and ahead to UK English, -01:00 onwards to
>US)

Last time I recall that idea I discovered that Japan and USSR (as it was)
prefered American spelling.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/

Hugo Van Der Sanden

May 27, 2002, 8:08:38 AM5/27/02
to Nicholas Clark, Sean O'Rourke, perl5-...@perl.org
Nicholas Clark <ni...@ccl4.org> wrote:

Traditionally, we accept US or UK spelling everywhere. Life's too short
to ask British English speakers to learn American, or vice versa.

Hugo

Jarkko Hietaniemi

May 27, 2002, 12:53:56 PM5/27/02
to h...@crypt0.demon.co.uk, Nicholas Clark, Sean O'Rourke, perl5-...@perl.org

Yes, this has been discussed before, and the above was the result then,
and I don't see any reason to change it now. Either US or UK spelling
is good.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
# It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen