github issues and pull requests: mail notification has slowed

1 view

James E Keenan

Feb 10, 2024, 4:45:05 PMFeb 10
to Perl5 Porters (E-mail)
Since we moved to github.com for issue/p.r. tracking in October 2019,
I've been accustomed to getting email notifications of changes to issues
and pull requests very quickly after posting them through the web
interface. By "very quickly" I mean, in less than 60 seconds (or in
whatever interval my email client (Thunderbird) checks my server (pobox).

In the last few weeks, however, my sense is that I'm no longer getting
those messages that quickly. Instead, it seems I will get messages in
bunches of 10 or more with timestamps going back up to 60 minutes. I'm
only infrequently on #p5p, but ISTR other contributors mentioning this
slowdown in delivery of messages from GH.

AFAICT I'm not experiencing any slowdown in mail delivery from any other
source.

Normally, if I'm preparing a response to a ticket and that response
takes 30-60 minutes to prepare, I will check my mail periodically to see
if the ticket has been updated. When I work in that way *now*, however,
I don't learn that a ticket I'm working on has been updated until I'm
ready to paste copy into the web interface. Sometimes the ticket has
already been closed.

Questions:

1. Have other people been noticing this lag in mail delivery from GH?

2. Is there any way we can raise this problem with github?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan