MIDI OO interface?

1 view

Christian Renz

Jun 4, 2005, 3:55:52 PM6/4/05
to mi...@perl.org
Hi all,

I currently do a lot of Perl MIDI stuff for a university project. I
work mostly on modifying and transitioning between small snippets of
MIDI (MIDI::Morph will do that satisfactorily one day). For that, I
need quite a lot of helper functions. I'll probably update my
MIDI::Tools soon with stuff like append_scores(), quantize_pitch() (to
scales), quantize_durations() etc.

This has led me to the following question: Is it planned to have an
object-oriented version of the MIDI modules? I'd like to do stuff like

my $m = MIDI::Score->new(...)
$m->Append(...);
$n = $m->Copy();
$m->Quantize(...);
$e = $m->AsEvents(); # $e is now an MIDI::Events object

and so on. I think that could have the potential of providing quite a
nice interface. I'd definitely be willing to help out with an OO
wrapper for the existing modules.

Greetings,
Christian

--
cr...@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder
at some Perl 4 code, and said, 'What is that, swearing?'" -- Larry Wall

Christian Renz

Jun 4, 2005, 3:58:37 PM6/4/05
to mi...@perl.org
Sorry; I was a bit unclear in my message. The MIDI modules have an OO
interface already, but I meant an extension of this interface to
include event lists and scores.

Greetings,
Christian

"What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised
by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument."
-- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man