Net::LDAP and contextCSN

Christian

Jul 15, 2019, 11:15:03 AM7/15/19
to perl...@perl.org
Hi,

could need some help.

I want to do with Net::LDAP what ldapsearch is doing with:
ldapsearch -x -LLL -s base contextCSN

with Net::LDAP I am struggeling ... tried the following:

$search = ldap->search( base => $BaseDn, scope => ''base', filter =>
'*', attrs => 'contextCSN'] );

This results in Bad filter.
From man page of ldapsearch there is no filter defined ... so is this
possible with Net::LDAP ?

Thank you

--

Christian
https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=177038

signature.asc

Quanah Gibson-Mount

Jul 15, 2019, 11:30:03 AM7/15/19
to Christian, perl...@perl.org
--On Monday, July 15, 2019 5:53 PM +0200 Christian <ch...@computersalat.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could need some help.
>
> I want to do with Net::LDAP what ldapsearch is doing with:
> ldapsearch -x -LLL -s base contextCSN
>
> with Net::LDAP I am struggeling ... tried the following:
>
> $search = ldap->search( base => $BaseDn, scope => ''base', filter =>
> '*', attrs => 'contextCSN'] );
>
> This results in Bad filter.
> From man page of ldapsearch there is no filter defined ... so is this
> possible with Net::LDAP ?

The default filter (if not specified) is "(objectClass=*)".

You may also find this script I wrote for contextCSN monitoring of interest:

<https://github.com/Zimbra/zm-ldap-utilities/blob/develop/src/libexec/zmreplchk>

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect

Martin Fabiani-Reher

Jul 15, 2019, 6:00:03 PM7/15/19
to Christian, perl...@perl.org
Hello Christian,

I don't know the exact syntax for ldapsearch because I haven't used it for ages.

filter => '*' indeed is no valid filter.  It is a bit like trying an SQL command like SELECT contextCSN FROM $table WHERE *

If I remember correctly, you either need to omit the filter:
$search = $ldap->search(
    base   => $BaseDn,
    scope  => 'base',
    attrs  => [ 'contextCSN'],
);
or set on which attribute you search for:
$search = $ldap->search(
    base   => $BaseDn,
    scope  => 'base',
    filter => '(contextCSN=*)',
    attrs  => [ 'contextCSN'],
);

BTW: it's better to copy&paste code, because the code you gave in your call for help will never compile, see the red annotations in your code example.

Kind regards

Strat

Christian

Jul 16, 2019, 3:30:03 AM7/16/19
to perl...@perl.org
Hello Strat,

thank you for your reply.

Am 15.07.19 um 23:46 schrieb Martin Fabiani-Reher:
> Hello Christian,
>
> I don't know the exact syntax for ldapsearch because I haven't used it
> for ages.
>
> filter => '*' indeed is no valid filter.  It is a bit like trying an SQL
> command like SELECT contextCSN FROM $table WHERE *
>
> If I remember correctly, you either need to omit the filter:
Now I know omitting is not correct and will result in 'Bad Filter' ...

> or set on which attribute you search for:
>
> $search = $ldap->search(
> base => $BaseDn,
> scope => 'base',
> filter => '(contextCSN=*)',
> attrs => [ 'contextCSN'],
> );
This works and in combination with Dales simple Example I got it running
and getting the wanted results. :-)

> BTW: it's better to copy&paste code, because the code you gave in your
> call for help will never compile, see the red annotations in your code
> example.
I fully agree, but at that moment I wasn't able to copy&paste ...
hence the typos.

I just wanted to show up the 'filter' problem.
I need to define a valid filter:
filter => '(objectClass=*)',
or
filter => '(contextCSN=*)',