Net::LDAP::Entry 0.24: Q: aggregating values for LDIF output

Ulrich Windl

Dec 10, 2015, 11:15:04 PM12/10/15
to perl...@perl.org
Hi!

I have a question on the somewhat old package Net::LDAP::Entry v0.24:

The manual says:
METHODS
add ( ATTR => VALUE, ... )
Add more attributes or values to the entry and returns the entry
itself. Each "VALUE" should be a string if only a single value is
wanted in the attribute, or a reference to an array of strings if
multiple values are wanted. The values given will be added to the
values which already exist for the given attributes.

I found out that when adding multiple single values, the LDIF output will look like this (example):
#changetype: modify...
add: nisNetgroupTriple
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh4adm,-)
-
add: nisNetgroupTriple
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh7adm,-)
-
add: nisNetgroupTriple
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh8adm,-)
-
add: nisNetgroupTriple
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh9adm,-)

Obviously this could be simplified to:
#changetype: modify...
add: nisNetgroupTriple
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh4adm,-)
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh7adm,-)
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh8adm,-)
nisNetgroupTriple: (-,dh9adm,-)

Do you agree? I wonder: If I add all individual values once using an array reference, will the output format be different, or is output always created in the way as the first example indicates?

Regards,
Ulrich