DBD::Oracle use_drcp and connection class

Andrei A. Voropaev via dbi-users

Mar 4, 2022, 1:30:05 PM3/4/22
to dbi-...@perl.org
Hello,

after looking at the sources of DBD::Oracle I am somewhat confused. OCI
offers Session pooling and Connection pooling. "DRCP" is abbreviation
for "connection pooling", but DBD::Oracle offers "session pooling",
which is not exactly the same.

Connected to this is the question about "connection class"
(ora_drcp_class). This parameter is necessary for "connection pooling",
but I couldn't find anything about it in the documentation for "session pooling".
Can someone please clarify this? So far it appears, that this parameter
is simply ignored in "session pooling".

Thank you.

Andrei A. Voropaev

Mar 5, 2022, 2:00:04 PM3/5/22
to dbi-...@perl.org
On Sat, Mar 05, 2022 at 10:09:58AM +1100, Christopher Jones wrote:

> On 5/3/2022 3:44 am, Andrei A. Voropaev via dbi-users wrote:
> > Connected to this is the question about "connection class"
> > (ora_drcp_class). This parameter is necessary for "connection pooling",
> > but I couldn't find anything about it in the documentation for "session pooling".
> > Can someone please clarify this? So far it appears, that this parameter
> > is simply ignored in "session pooling".

> Both DRCP and OCI Session pools support the concept of a connection class
> name.  This allows some isolation of session memory if pools are shared
> between distinct use cases.  Commonly session pools are not shared, so
> connection class isn't set for them.  Setting the class name is more (very)
> important for DRCP since it directly affects performance (as well as giving
> the security separation).

Thank you! So, for session pooling connection class is really not used.

There are "tags" for sessions. Could this parameter be used for tagging
instead? Though this would break backwards-compatibility. Probably it
would be better to introduce different parameter for this case, if
anyone needs it at all :)

Best regards