Re: Tool for develop in Perl

1 view

Olivier

Oct 24, 2023, 12:45:07 AM10/24/23
to William Torrez Corea, begi...@perl.org
William Torrez Corea <willi...@gmail.com> writes:

> What tool can I use for development in Perl?
>
> I use VIM for coding and executing programs with the Perl Command Line from
> GNU/Linux. In addition I have installed Eclipse but the IDE is abandoned.
>
> My theory: I can make full development from VIM but few developers use VIM
> for development. They use Eclipse, Netbeans, Visual Studio or some other
> code editor like Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, Atom and Notepad++.
>
> The IDE is complete but large files while the code editor is light.

I don't know if it is still the case, but Emacs used to be a decent IDE
for many languages even before IDE existed. You could split your session
into two windows, one window for editing and one window for compiling
and Emacs would highlight the errors in your source code in reaction to
the failures of the compilation.

I used that feature on plain text terminals to code in PL1 some 35
years ago.

Best regards,

Olivier