configuring Net::SMTP

Rick T

Jul 8, 2023, 11:45:06 AM7/8/23
to Perl Beginners
I have two subroutines (below) in a program that uses Net::SMTP.  I’ve recently moved my site from FutureQuest.net to Hostgator.com, and this part of my program has stopped working. The first routine sends an analysis of a test to me at Reason.net, and the second send a score to several addresses associated with the student. On my new host at Hostgator both fail to do this. (One of the “technicians” at Hostgator said he found my email, so one or both likely arrived at webm...@hostgator.com.)

 I am not trained in computer tech; I’m just a 78 year old high school teacher who bought a few books on perl, so I don’t really understand how to fill in the many variable assignments that make up most of these two routines. Instead I took guesses and tried stuff to see what would happen. If any of you have suggestions or corrections, I’d be grateful!

Rick Triplett

FIRST SUBROUTINE:

sub email_analysis {    # to LibertyLearning for score posting and analysis
    my $n_max = shift;
    my @analysis = define_analysis($n_max);

    my $subject_line
        = "$pf{percent_correct_final} $pf{name_full} $course_file\n";

    # Send administration an email of statistical analysis
    my $to = 'socr...@reason.net';
    my $from = 'webm...@LibertyLearning.com';
    my $site = 'libertylearning.com';
    my $smtp_host = 'mail.libertylearning.com';

    my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new( $smtp_host, Hello => $site );
    $smtp->mail($from);
    $smtp->to($to);
    $smtp->data();
        $smtp->datasend("From: webmaster\@LibertyLearning.com\n");
        $smtp->datasend("To: $to\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Date: $pf{ date_ended }\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Subject: $subject_line\n");
        $smtp->datasend("\n");
        $smtp->datasend("$student_id\n");
        $smtp->datasend("$pf{percent_correct_final}\n");
        $smtp->datasend("squandered: $pf{percent_squandered}\%\n");
        $smtp->datasend("if tried: $pf{if_tried}\%\n");
        $smtp->datasend("string_of_wrongs: $pf{string_of_wrongs}\n");
        foreach (@analysis) {$smtp->datasend("$_\n")};
    $smtp->dataend();
    $smtp->quit;
    return;
}

SECOND SUBRUTINE:

sub email_mentors {
    my $message   = shift;
    my $to = 'socr...@reason.net'; #was my $to = shift;

        $smtp->datasend("From: no_reply\@LibertyLearning.com\n");
        $smtp->datasend("To: $to\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Date: $pf{ date_ended }\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Subject: Test Results\n");
        $smtp->datasend("\n");
        $smtp->datasend("$message\n");
    $smtp->dataend();
    $smtp->quit;

    return;
}

pe...@reason.net

Jul 8, 2023, 8:45:06 PM7/8/23
to Perl Beginners
Thanks, Andinus. This is useful information. — Rick

> On Jul 8, 2023, at 10:11 AM, Andinus <and...@nand.sh> wrote:
>

> Hello Rick,
>
> Hostgator might be able to provide you more information regarding why
> the email delivery is failing. I'm not very familiar with mail stuff.
>
> You can also try NET::SMTP->new(Debug => 1) and send an email, it might
> provide useful info.
>
> Maybe this answer on stackoverflow might be helpful
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/10008814
>
> Have a good day!
>
> Rick T @ 2023-07-08 08:37 -07:
>
>> I have two subroutines (below) in a program that uses Net::SMTP. I’ve
>> recently moved my site from FutureQuest.net <http://futurequest.net/>
>> to Hostgator.com <http://hostgator.com/>, and this part of my program
>> has stopped working. The first routine sends an analysis of a test to
>> me at Reason.net <http://reason.net/>, and the second send a score to
>> several addresses associated with the student. On my new host at
>> Hostgator both fail to do this. (One of the “technicians” at Hostgator
>> said he found my email, so one or both likely arrived at
>> webm...@hostgator.com <mailto:webm...@hostgator.com>.)

Olivier

Jul 9, 2023, 12:30:06 AM7/9/23
to Rick T, begi...@perl.org
Rick T <pe...@reason.net> writes:

> [1:text/plain Show]
>

> [2:text/html Hide Save:noname (4kB)]
>
> I have two subroutines (below) in a program that uses Net::SMTP. I’ve
> recently moved my site from FutureQuest.net to Hostgator.com, and this part
> of my program has stopped working. The first routine sends an analysis of a
> test to me at Reason.net, and the second send a score to several addresses
> associated with the student. On my new host at Hostgator both fail to do
> this. (One of the “technicians” at Hostgator said he found my email, so one
> or both likely arrived at webm...@hostgator.com.)
>
> I am not trained in computer tech; I’m just a 78 year old high school
> teacher who bought a few books on perl, so I don’t really understand how to
> fill in the many variable assignments that make up most of these two
> routines. Instead I took guesses and tried stuff to see what would happen.
> If any of you have suggestions or corrections, I’d be grateful!
>
> Rick Triplett
>
> FIRST SUBROUTINE:
>
> sub email_analysis { # to LibertyLearning for score posting and analysis
> my $n_max = shift;
> my @analysis = define_analysis($n_max);
>
> my $subject_line
> = "$pf{percent_correct_final} $pf{name_full} $course_file\n";
>
> # Send administration an email of statistical analysis
> my $to = 'socr...@reason.net';
> my $from = 'webm...@LibertyLearning.com';
> my $site = 'libertylearning.com';
> my $smtp_host = 'mail.libertylearning.com';

Are you sure that mail.libertylearning.com is a valid SMTP host? And can
you use it from your current Web host? Usually, one would use the
mailgateway from the Web hosting company.

Web host may limit outgoing email from any web site they host to prevent
scammer web sites: they can filter whatever email you send and make sure
you send legitimate stuff and you do not put their business in danger of
being classified as a scam friendly business.

Contact your Web host and ask them what mail gateway you should use to
have your web site send email.

Best regards,

Olivier