problem caching utf8 string

jira

May 19, 2010, 6:12:16 PM5/19/10
to Perl-Cache Discuss
Hello,

I'v encountered problems caching utf8 (Perl internal encoding not
octets) string. File driver gives the "wide character in syswrite"
error. Memory driver also chokes on it.

Of course, I can encode the string before passing it to set, but
should not this be handled transparently?

Regards,
Jiri

Jonathan Swartz

May 19, 2010, 7:22:56 PM5/19/10
to perl-cach...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this should be handled transparently.

My knowledge of utf8 and encoding is sadly lacking, so I could try to
figure out the best way to handle this, but if you sent me a patch it
would probably happen faster/better. :)

Thanks
Jon

jira

May 20, 2010, 5:41:15 AM5/20/10
to Perl-Cache Discuss
Hello,

I will try, but let me first reread perluniintro ;) It still confuses
me as much as it did 10 years ago

On 20 kvě, 01:22, Jonathan Swartz <swa...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Yes, this should be handled transparently.
>
> My knowledge of utf8 and encoding is sadly lacking, so I could try to
> figure out the best way to handle this, but if you sent me a patch it
> would probably happen faster/better. :)
>
> Thanks
> Jon
>
> On May 19, 2010, at 3:12 PM, jira wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I'v encountered problems caching utf8 (Perl internal encoding not
> > octets) string. File driver gives the "wide character in syswrite"
> > error. Memory driver also chokes on it.
>
> > Of course, I can encode the string before passing it to set, but
> > should not this be handled transparently?
>
> > Regards,
> > Jiri

jira

May 20, 2010, 12:47:06 PM5/20/10
to Perl-Cache Discuss
Hello,
not unexpectedly I traced the problem to my code.

What I was trying to cache was output from Template Toolkit. Passing
'ENCODING' option with the value 'utf8' to Template constructor solves
the problem.

Thanks for your patience.

Jiri