Is Perkeep still alive?

Lucian Daniliuc

Mar 20, 2023, 12:20:45 PM3/20/23
to Perkeep
Hello,

I've been studying Perkeep for a few weeks now, and even though the technology and use cases looks solid, I see there's no active community around it (or I don't know where to loo for it).

Giving the rise of AI LLMs I am thinking of building a project on Perkeep and not sure that it is still being developed or maintained.

So, if you stopped using Perkeep (or just gave up), please reply with your reason and what are you using instead?

Cheers,
Lucian.

Aaron Peterson

Mar 22, 2023, 12:19:36 PM3/22/23
to Perkeep
I installed a few weeks ago, and did a git pull,  a few hundred files were updated...  and I am able to get my Google files imported with ssl

Gina White

Mar 23, 2023, 7:30:12 AM3/23/23
to per...@googlegroups.com
I have a pull request that has been unanswered for 3 months now.  I gave up.

Michael Farr

Mar 24, 2023, 8:10:01 PM3/24/23
to per...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucian,

I got an initial system working, but despite its many great features, I couldn't get it to stretch around what I needed. The maintenance doesn't appear to be quite dead yet, but it seems to have slowed down considerably in the past couple of years.

The first issue I had was the lack of a system to control the lifecycle of data that I didn't want to keep forever. An example would be to support data that the legal owner only gives me temporary and conditional rights to hold. The second issue was that it couldn't manage data stored on other systems; in general, it just wants to manage files in its own blob storage system and lacks features to link or push external data (it has some good tools for importing data from some sources).

I like this idea of wrapping AI into a data management system also. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss some ideas.

Mike

Lucian D.

Apr 19, 2023, 1:15:27 PM4/19/23
to per...@googlegroups.com
Hey Michael,

In the meantime I realized that PerKeep might not be the best option.

Please see https://betterprogramming.pub/the-personal-vault-project-7cdd692b08b0 about my vision about the AI-enhanced personal vault that I am working on.
I have described the system how I see it.

I am curious what you have on your mind.

Some more thoughts on the subject (mine + other peoples) are on the Discussion section: https://github.com/dlucian/pvp/discussions

Cheers,
Lucian.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Perkeep" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/perkeep/CACXS6nQr%2BrxkiZzYBRzgW5bBRNrtm13t%2BU7iCaqKZ9nZtj-cyw%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Farr

Apr 20, 2023, 6:24:03 PM4/20/23
to per...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucian,

Thats so great, I'll contribute something there soon. I had also started a discussion page, but I think I like the idea of running it in github much more. My concept is to separate the metadata from the archive, but the 3 project goals seem the same.

Cheers,
Mike

Aaron Peterson

Apr 21, 2023, 12:39:21 AM4/21/23
to per...@googlegroups.com
can you incorporate those features into perkeep?  fragmentation is kinda rough.

Using the blobs as a backend is great.