Perian "... doesn't work on a Power-PC based mac" ?

sc

Nov 5, 2007, 12:41:54 PM11/5/07
to perian discussion
i've just upgraded to osx 10.5 (leopard).

i've installled the Perian pref pane.

when clicking on the pane, i get an error dialog:

"You cannot open Perian preferences because it doesn't work on a Power-
PC based mac"

Reading the group, it certainly *seems* like others are using it on a
PPC ...

suggestions?

thanks!

Graham Booker

Nov 6, 2007, 10:15:29 AM11/6/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Delete the pref pane and re-download it. If it still fails, then
there is something wrong with your computer.

sc

Nov 6, 2007, 10:43:49 AM11/6/07
to perian discussion, Graham Booker
On Nov 6, 7:15 am, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
> Delete the pref pane and re-download it.

created a new, 'vanilla' Leopard user.

re-DL'd perian. installed.

same problem ... "You cannot open Perian preferences because it

doesn't work on a Power-
PC based mac"

continued with installing "eveything else" on my computer. *NO* other
problems with *ANY* app/prefpane/etc ... just Perian.

tried on a new disc, with a completely fresh Leopard install -- rather
than an upgrade. again, same problem.

tried on a different Mac, agains with a fresh Leopard install. yet
again, same problem.

> If it still fails, then there is something wrong with your computer.

It's apparently a Perian-created dialog -- as a result of a Perian-
code check. Again, no other apps/etc have any problems. It's
reproducible on a fresh-Leopard install, with a fresh-Perian install.
on two different machines.

though i'm open to the possibility, your belief that "then there is
something wrong with your computer" is based on ... ?

thanks.

Graham Booker

Nov 6, 2007, 11:25:41 AM11/6/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 6, 2007, at 9:43 AM, sc wrote:

> On Nov 6, 7:15 am, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
>> Delete the pref pane and re-download it.
>
> created a new, 'vanilla' Leopard user.
>
> re-DL'd perian. installed.
>
> same problem ... "You cannot open Perian preferences because it
> doesn't work on a Power-
> PC based mac"
>
> continued with installing "eveything else" on my computer. *NO* other
> problems with *ANY* app/prefpane/etc ... just Perian.
>
> tried on a new disc, with a completely fresh Leopard install -- rather
> than an upgrade. again, same problem.
>
> tried on a different Mac, agains with a fresh Leopard install. yet
> again, same problem.

There is really nothing I can say. Perian works on PPC macs.

>> If it still fails, then there is something wrong with your computer.
>
> It's apparently a Perian-created dialog -- as a result of a Perian-
> code check. Again, no other apps/etc have any problems. It's
> reproducible on a fresh-Leopard install, with a fresh-Perian install.
> on two different machines.

Nope. Perian creates no such dialog. There is no such code check in
the source.

> though i'm open to the possibility, your belief that "then there is
> something wrong with your computer" is based on ... ?

Because it works on my ppc macs, it works on everyone else's, and no
one has ever reported this but you.

> thanks.

sc

Nov 6, 2007, 11:46:43 AM11/6/07
to perian discussion
> > though i'm open to the possibility, your belief that "then there is
> > something wrong with your computer" is based on ... ?
>
> Because it works on my ppc macs, it works on everyone else's, and no
> one has ever reported this but you.

not interested in troubleshooting. fair enough; your call, of course.

Flip4Mac works just fine.

cheers.

vs

Nov 10, 2007, 8:39:01 AM11/10/07
to perian discussion
On Nov 6, 4:25 pm, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
> Because it works on my ppc macs, it works on everyone else's, and no
> one has ever reported this but you.

No, it's not only him. I have the same problem:

Upgraded to Leopard, Perian 1.0 stopped to work (AAC audio not played
back
in several situations, not all). Trying to upgrade compiling to SVN.
Then the
following happens with both /branches/perian-1.1 and /trunk:

1) I can only build against 10.4u; if I try 10.5, it fails with link
errors against
AppKit.framework. Is this expected?

2) I can only build target Development; if I try Deployment it fails
trying to
link to libavcodec.dylib from my /usr/local/lib (which is not
universal). Is
this intended?

3) When I build the diskimage and install, it first warns me that the
version
I have is newer than the one I am trying to install, which isn't the
case; after
the install if I try to launch the PreferencePane it says it cannot
run on
PowerPC-based Macs.

I have restarted the SysPrefs and QT several times and restarted the
machine.
Only solution reinstall 1.0, which without AAC is not especially
useful. Don't know
where the problem originates from, but it wasn't there with Tiger.
If this problem interest you, I can provide all the details you need.

Graham Booker

Nov 10, 2007, 11:16:56 AM11/10/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 10, 2007, at 7:39 AM, vs wrote:

> On Nov 6, 4:25 pm, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
>> Because it works on my ppc macs, it works on everyone else's, and no
>> one has ever reported this but you.
>
> No, it's not only him. I have the same problem:
>
> Upgraded to Leopard, Perian 1.0 stopped to work (AAC audio not played
> back
> in several situations, not all). Trying to upgrade compiling to SVN.
> Then the
> following happens with both /branches/perian-1.1 and /trunk:
>
> 1) I can only build against 10.4u; if I try 10.5, it fails with link
> errors against
> AppKit.framework. Is this expected?

No, but there's a reason we have the project set to use 10.4u.

> 2) I can only build target Development; if I try Deployment it fails
> trying to
> link to libavcodec.dylib from my /usr/local/lib (which is not
> universal). Is
> this intended?

Well, there's your problem. We don't build libavcodec.dylib nor do we
place it in /usr/local/lib.

Also, development only builds the architecture on which you are
currently running.

> 3) When I build the diskimage and install, it first warns me that the
> version
> I have is newer than the one I am trying to install, which isn't the
> case; after
> the install if I try to launch the PreferencePane it says it cannot
> run on
> PowerPC-based Macs.

If the same prefpane installs on tiger but not on leopard, then it is
a leopard bug. Not surprising considering that leopard seems to be
the most buggy OS X since 10.0. Bug apple about it.

> I have restarted the SysPrefs and QT several times and restarted the
> machine.
> Only solution reinstall 1.0, which without AAC is not especially
> useful. Don't know
> where the problem originates from, but it wasn't there with Tiger.
> If this problem interest you, I can provide all the details you need.

That is something we are aware of.

vs

Nov 10, 2007, 5:09:08 PM11/10/07
to perian discussion

On Nov 10, 4:16 pm, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
> > 2) I can only build target Development; if I try Deployment it fails
> > trying to
> > link to libavcodec.dylib from my /usr/local/lib (which is not
> > universal). Is
> > this intended?
>
> Well, there's your problem. We don't build libavcodec.dylib nor do we
> place it in /usr/local/lib.

But not entirely because if you build static ffmpeg libraries in
build/...
then the Makefile should try to link them. But I see that you're not
patching ffmpeg-svn, so fair enough. I could try and remove the link
to /usr/local/lib from under /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.4u, and see
what happens.

> Also, development only builds the architecture on which you are
> currently running.

That must be it then. I think The Deployment build fails because it
doesn't find a Universal version of the ffmpeg libs.

> If the same prefpane installs on tiger but not on leopard, then it is
> a leopard bug. Not surprising considering that leopard seems to be
> the most buggy OS X since 10.0. Bug apple about it.

You're probably right. Though I don't know if the same PrefPane
installs to Tiger (as I don't have it anymore). I know I compiled 1.0
and install it on Tiger with not so many problems.

You mentioned you compile 1.1 from svn and run on PPC without
problems. Is there a way for you to send me your DMG? Trying
to install that might give some answers...

cheers

Graham Booker

Nov 10, 2007, 11:47:43 PM11/10/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 10, 2007, at 4:09 PM, vs wrote:

> On Nov 10, 4:16 pm, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
>>> 2) I can only build target Development; if I try Deployment it fails
>>> trying to
>>> link to libavcodec.dylib from my /usr/local/lib (which is not
>>> universal). Is
>>> this intended?
>>
>> Well, there's your problem. We don't build libavcodec.dylib nor do
>> we
>> place it in /usr/local/lib.
>
> But not entirely because if you build static ffmpeg libraries in
> build/...
> then the Makefile should try to link them. But I see that you're not
> patching ffmpeg-svn, so fair enough. I could try and remove the link
> to /usr/local/lib from under /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.4u, and see
> what happens.

You missed my point. We build a .a file and we don't put it in /usr/
local/lib.

>> Also, development only builds the architecture on which you are
>> currently running.
>
> That must be it then. I think The Deployment build fails because it
> doesn't find a Universal version of the ffmpeg libs.
>
>> If the same prefpane installs on tiger but not on leopard, then it is
>> a leopard bug. Not surprising considering that leopard seems to be
>> the most buggy OS X since 10.0. Bug apple about it.
>
> You're probably right. Though I don't know if the same PrefPane
> installs to Tiger (as I don't have it anymore). I know I compiled 1.0
> and install it on Tiger with not so many problems.

And yet, you didn't try the 1.0 which is freely downloadable?

> You mentioned you compile 1.1 from svn and run on PPC without
> problems. Is there a way for you to send me your DMG? Trying
> to install that might give some answers...

No. We do not support nor give out builds from svn. If you cannot
build svn, then you should not be running it. We explicitly want that
barrier to entry because it results in better bug reports unlike this
thread.

If you are building SVN and PPC code isn't present, that's your
fault. If the code is present and you get a dialog like the start of
this thread, it's Apple's fault. Either way, it isn't our fault.
That is the last I will say on this matter.

> cheers

vs

Nov 11, 2007, 8:39:33 AM11/11/07
to perian discussion
Sorry Graham, with all due respect, you are wrong here.

On Nov 11, 4:47 am, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
> You missed my point. We build a .a file and we don't put it in /usr/
> local/lib.

You missed mine, that was: if --as you do-- build libavcodec.a
and put it in build/..., then your configure script should produce a
Makefile that links build/.../libavcodec.a (statically) and not
/Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.4u/usr/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib.
The fault is in your script.

> > You're probably right. Though I don't know if the same PrefPane
> > installs to Tiger (as I don't have it anymore). I know I compiled 1.0
> > and install it on Tiger with not so many problems.
>
> And yet, you didn't try the 1.0 which is freely downloadable?

Of course I did! As I said. I can also compile it myself, you know,
I am not so incompetent as you seem to think. Perian 1.0 runs
on PPC but --again as I said-- it stopped working with QT 7.3
(no AAC audio).

> No. We do not support nor give out builds from svn. If you cannot
> build svn, then you should not be running it. We explicitly want that
> barrier to entry because it results in better bug reports unlike this
> thread.

Well, thanks for sharing with us your informed judgement (if
you care to google about me you might find out that perhaps
you are being just a bit too arrogant here).

> If you are building SVN and PPC code isn't present, that's your
> fault.

Not at all; how can you even suggest that: it's *your* xcode set
up that is broken. I thought you might have been interested in
debugging it, but clearly you're not listening.

> That is the last I will say on this matter.

Ditto.

Augie Fackler

Nov 11, 2007, 8:50:14 AM11/11/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 11, 2007, at 8:39 AM, vs wrote:
> On Nov 11, 4:47 am, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
>> You missed my point. We build a .a file and we don't put it in /usr/
>> local/lib.
>
> You missed mine, that was: if --as you do-- build libavcodec.a
> and put it in build/..., then your configure script should produce a
> Makefile that links build/.../libavcodec.a (statically) and not
> /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.4u/usr/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib.
> The fault is in your script.

Our configure script *does* make static libraries and put them under
build/ - I have no idea what you would have done to put it in /
Developer.

>> If you are building SVN and PPC code isn't present, that's your
>> fault.
>
> Not at all; how can you even suggest that: it's *your* xcode set
> up that is broken. I thought you might have been interested in
> debugging it, but clearly you're not listening.

I can't reproduce any problems in our build system - could you please
try and explain them one more time (with exact steps to reproduce)? If
there really is a problem in the build system, I'd like to know about
it and fix it...

Thanks,
Augie Fackler

Filipi Nascimento

Nov 11, 2007, 1:36:14 PM11/11/07
to perian discussion
726 and recent versions compiles just fine in leopard XCode 3.0.
Working in PPC and Intel, everything ok. But I think that, for now, it
is better to compile perian in 10.4 because of problems with enabling
PIC (that may result in slow code, please correct-me if i'm wrong).

Did you patched your ffmpeg??

Ah clean all in XCode 3.0 doesn't clean the scripts, so it is better
to redownload entire trunk or manually clean the scripts before trying
again.

Alexander Strange

Nov 11, 2007, 1:50:08 PM11/11/07
to perian discussion

On Nov 11, 8:50 am, Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com> wrote:
> Our configure script *does* make static libraries and put them under
> build/ - I have no idea what you would have done to put it in /
> Developer.

If our libavcodec build fails, and you've already done a ./configure;
make; make install build of ffmpeg, it'll see those libraries in /usr/
local and try to link them. Usually that fails because they're really
old or used PIC, though.

Graham Booker

Nov 12, 2007, 11:45:51 AM11/12/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 11, 2007, at 7:39 AM, vs wrote:

> Sorry Graham, with all due respect, you are wrong here.
>
> On Nov 11, 4:47 am, Graham Booker <gboo...@cod3r.com> wrote:
>> You missed my point. We build a .a file and we don't put it in /usr/
>> local/lib.
>
> You missed mine, that was: if --as you do-- build libavcodec.a
> and put it in build/..., then your configure script should produce a
> Makefile that links build/.../libavcodec.a (statically) and not
> /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.4u/usr/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib.
> The fault is in your script.

What configure? find . | grep -i configure yields configure scripts
only in the liba52 and ffmpeg. There is no configure for perian, nor
is there one that links to libavcodec in any directory. The makefile
for perian just calls xcodebuild. So where is this mysterious
configure script of which you speak? I would like to know so I can
svn delete with extreme prejudice.

>>> You're probably right. Though I don't know if the same PrefPane
>>> installs to Tiger (as I don't have it anymore). I know I compiled
>>> 1.0
>>> and install it on Tiger with not so many problems.
>>
>> And yet, you didn't try the 1.0 which is freely downloadable?
>
> Of course I did! As I said. I can also compile it myself, you know,
> I am not so incompetent as you seem to think. Perian 1.0 runs
> on PPC but --again as I said-- it stopped working with QT 7.3
> (no AAC audio).

Your statement earlier wasn't clear as to whether you tried installing
it, or if it were simply present after you install leopard. It is
standard engineering practice (even though you are not an engineer) to
repeat steps with a single change at a time to determine the fault.

My point was to see if you get the error dialog upon installing 1.0.
This is a test to see if it is a Tiger/Leopard issue.

>> No. We do not support nor give out builds from svn. If you cannot
>> build svn, then you should not be running it. We explicitly want
>> that
>> barrier to entry because it results in better bug reports unlike this
>> thread.
>
> Well, thanks for sharing with us your informed judgement (if
> you care to google about me you might find out that perhaps
> you are being just a bit too arrogant here).

My point still stands: The reports in this thread are not very
helpful, as is evident by the fact it took this many emails to
understand your real problem (and I suspect there is one other which
have yet to come to light, but I will withhold that one until I am
sure). Now that I (think I) finally understand your situation, this
is the kind of report I would expect from someone who should be
running svn (assuming all the points here are correct; you should
check to make sure they are; also with the appropriate directory
substitutions for the base pathname of the source dir and the build
type):

> I am having an issue building perian. Whenever it links, it uses
> libavcodec from /usr/local/lib rather than the statically built
> library in the build directory. I examined the library search paths
> in xcode and they seem correct, even the gcc command line is correct
> with:
>
> /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -o /Users/gbooker/projects/perian/build/
> Perian.build/Deployment/Perian.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Perian -L/
> Users/gbooker/projects/perian/build/Deployment -L/Users/gbooker/
> projects/perian/build/Universal ....
>
> I checked .../build/Universal/ and libavcodec.a is there with i386
> and ppc architectures present as verified by the file command.
> There were no build errors with ffmpeg nor perian itself. I will
> try removing the libavcodec present in my /usr/local/lib and see if
> it makes any difference.

Now, isn't that a much better report?

>> If you are building SVN and PPC code isn't present, that's your
>> fault.
>
> Not at all; how can you even suggest that: it's *your* xcode set
> up that is broken. I thought you might have been interested in
> debugging it, but clearly you're not listening.

Hmm.. xcode setup now rather than a configure script, O.K.

I would appeal to Occam's razor here (my preferred definition):
Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being
equal, the simpler one is to be preferred.

The theories here are:
The xcode setup is broken so that it can't build properly but the
developers have no issues
and
There is something wrong with your ability to build

Evidence:
You cannot build Perian properly
The developers can
At least one (and likely several more) developer(s) have a virgin
system when it comes to system installed libraries.
I know of several others who are not developers who have had no issues
building perian.

Which is simpler? If you want to persuade me otherwise, you have to
provide some piece of evidence that your theory explains but mine does
not. This is standard practice in the sciences.

>> That is the last I will say on this matter.
>
> Ditto.

Now this thread has morphed into "I can't build Perian to work on
PPC" . My comment above was on the question as to whether perian run
on PPC; hope you understood that.

Chris Forsythe

Nov 15, 2007, 8:53:06 PM11/15/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, sc

That's not what he said. You need to read what he said and not read
into what he said.

Chris

Chris Forsythe

Nov 15, 2007, 8:54:36 PM11/15/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, vs
In the future, it would be beneficial if you chose to use a different tone when discussing things with us. You looked like a prick here, to be honest. I don't care if you're bill gates or steve jobs, nothing gives you the right to treat people who donate their time in such a manner. In the future please try to be a bit nicer. :)

Chris