Re: Perian OS X 10.9

Message has been deleted

Augie Fackler

Jul 4, 2013, 6:49:08 AM7/4/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

Sadly, I don't think anyone here has mavericks. Even if someone does, the changes would be subject to an NDA and therefore not a viable topic for a public list.

On Jul 4, 2013 6:44 AM, "Bessem REBAI" <rbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Is there an alternative to Perian on Mavericks (OS X 10.9) for Quicktime X takes a long time to read certain files. It encodes before reading.
I know that Perian is no longer updated.
A solution? An amendment made to Perian? I'm listening to you.
Best,

Ritchie Andrews

Jul 7, 2013, 4:08:45 PM7/7/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
You can see if this works. http://code.google.com/p/niceplayer/

Drew

Sidney Blondell

Nov 20, 2013, 6:31:34 AM11/20/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Greeetings, Bessem.

I would like to clarify Ritchie Andrews misguided reply.  "Niceplayer" is NOT an alternative to Perian.  Perian was an EXCELLENT control panel plug-in (the top  REASON I bought a Mac--no more Codec hunting!)  Since Tim Cook took over Apple, what we feared would happen, happened...  He [Tim Cook] has NO CLUE what the consumer wants.  This was Jobs' genius and Cook's stupidity...  Niceplayer, is a media player like Quicktime, VLC and a hundred others...

I have (sadly) found no alternative to Perian to date, and I have searched the entire net--weekly--via Google, Yahoo, Webcrawler etc.  with NO hits :(  Hopefully the developer community will pick up where Perian left off and continue this invaluable most used plug-in!  Perian was like air.  You don't know it's there, and you don't notice it until it is gone, but you need it and use it every moment of every day...

P.S. Saying that "niceplayer" is an alternative to Perian is like saying running shoes are an alternative to a Boeing 747 for getting to Australia...

Graham Booker

Nov 20, 2013, 9:46:02 AM11/20/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I had interpreted Ritchie's reply as Niceplayer being an alternative to QuickTime X.  The same can be said for QuickTime Player 7.

As per updating Perian for the new QT architecture, as far as I know, there is still absolutely zero documentation on writing components in the new architecture.  Until that changes, there is no route to even consider changes to Perian much less trying to drum up support for it.

Chris Forsythe

Nov 20, 2013, 1:11:12 PM11/20/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I interpreted the email from Ritchie in the same manner.

--
Chris Forsythe

kha...@patriot.net

Nov 20, 2013, 12:26:51 PM11/20/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
> P.S. Saying that "niceplayer" is an alternative to Perian is like saying
> running shoes are an alternative to a Boeing 747 for getting to
> Australia...

Given that my favourite feature is the captioning ability I would
substitute a desk for those trainers.

jancakv

Jan 9, 2014, 4:55:45 AM1/9/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
With the advent of OS X Mavericks me to stop, as well as others operate entirely Perian. For years I had the great services of the application in conjunction with QuickLook so used to that now suffer for all work and play with the media in the system. Different formats, codecs, using titles, all this is now a life in paradise with Perian sheer hell.

Is it possible to revive the project? Thus saving Memberlist OS X Mavericks before what Apple has done in this latest version of the system? I believe that users would be grateful and would like to pay for the application. Personally, I would at the price of 25 USD even thinking whether to buy, and I think the price could be even higher. It's a shame such a great thing to leave lying in silicon heaven.

VLC and others are not a substitute for Perian. To me, you can send straight to work on Windows. :-) :-(

Thank you.

Graham Booker

Jan 9, 2014, 9:56:22 AM1/9/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:55 AM, jancakv <gra...@ujancaku.net> wrote:
With the advent of OS X Mavericks me to stop, as well as others operate entirely Perian. For years I had the great services of the application in conjunction with QuickLook so used to that now suffer for all work and play with the media in the system. Different formats, codecs, using titles, all this is now a life in paradise with Perian sheer hell.

It sure sounds like this email was intended to be directed to Apple, not us.  Did you sent it to the wrong place?

Is it possible to revive the project? Thus saving Memberlist OS X Mavericks before what Apple has done in this latest version of the system? I believe that users would be grateful and would like to pay for the application. Personally, I would at the price of 25 USD even thinking whether to buy, and I think the price could be even higher. It's a shame such a great thing to leave lying in silicon heaven.

This looks like you didn't read my previous email in this same thread.  You even quoted it.  To re-quote it:

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Graham Booker wrote:

As per updating Perian for the new QT architecture, as far as I know, there is still absolutely zero documentation on writing components in the new architecture.  Until that changes, there is no route to even consider changes to Perian much less trying to drum up support for it.

So, the answer to your questions is a resounding NO.  If you believe otherwise, patches welcome.

VLC and others are not a substitute for Perian. To me, you can send straight to work on Windows. :-) :-(

Again, I think Apple would care about this a lot more than us.  Did you mean to send this to them?  None of those here have a vested interest in keeping people on the mac, so your threat has no weight.

kurtko...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 9:27:59 PM2/13/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
[URGENT] I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG TOPIC TO POST ON, BUT I JUST SAW THAT PERIAN IS RETIRING!!! I WILL BUY IT AT A REASONABLE COST AND NOT CANGE ANY OF IT, AND KEEP IT RUNNING FOR LIFE

Christopher Forsythe

Feb 13, 2014, 9:47:37 PM2/13/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
If you know it's the wrong thread, you should have opened a new thread.
--
Chris Forsythe

M Shorey

Feb 28, 2014, 3:12:13 PM2/28/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I tried Upgrading to Mavericks and the lack of Perian made to go back to OS 10.8. True I will not do anything until I find a substitute. VLC is crap. All I want is for all my movie icons to be back on the screen. Perian worked so well in the background that I forgot that it was not part of the OS. I would pay £50 to get Perian that works with Mavericks OS 10.9. I don't want any of my video files re-encoded just to see the icon. That so stupid. I have years of video.

Chris Forsythe

Mar 4, 2014, 4:23:36 PM3/4/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I doubt that amount would do much of any good. I'd recommend sticking with something that works for you.

--
Chris Forsythe

Graham Booker

Mar 4, 2014, 4:30:38 PM3/4/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
The issue is not lack of money nor lack of time.  The issue is lack of documentation.  Development on Perian cannot continue with the new frameworks provided in the newer OS versions until documentation is provided describing how to use them.  Perian pretty much implemented everything it can using the outdated QuickTime API, and so there's not much more to accomplish.

To be clear:  The issues people are having with the newer OS versions is due to components contained it the OS no longer using the QuickTime library as a first-class citizen.  QuickTime Player 7 and NicePlayer still use the QuickTime library as a first-class citizen so playback works there the same as it did on previous OSs.  QuickTime Player X and now QuickLook do not.  It appears Apple is phasing out QuickTime in favor of the new framework which plays a smaller set of formats.  It just so happens that the list of those formats is those found on the iTunes Music Store, so you can take that for what it is worth.

Enrico Rosso

Mar 10, 2014, 11:45:39 AM3/10/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
While they for sure like to "Play in their garden" I can't think they replaced an open architecture with a closed one. I hope they'll publish a way to extend the new framework soon (maybe in june/july when they update the OS, if they do).

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the Perian guys for all the work they've done until now. It was damn great to have you in our "components" folder! Thank You Thank You Thank you!!!

ps: VLC doesn't sucks, it's just something very different from Perian with different purposes.

M Shorey

Apr 8, 2014, 5:19:56 AM4/8/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Me too! I would pay for it say $30 just so I can upgrade to 10.9. Perian is the only thing that's holding me back. Upgraded to 10.9...Perian didn't work.....all my video files needed to be be reformated to work with 10.9.....Downgraded back to 10.8 End of story. These Perian folks don't know all the money they're missing!

Christopher Forsythe

Apr 8, 2014, 7:17:09 PM4/8/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you get what we're saying, so I'm going to try to be clear here. I will compare this to a car.

We have the car. We're driving along the road and know where we want to end up. But we do not have the map to get there.

The bottom line is that it's not about money. In the future please read all of the messages in a thread before replying.

Chris Forsythe