Leopard and Perain

Ein

Oct 5, 2007, 2:36:10 AM10/5/07
to perian discussion
It's probably premature to discuss this, but some .MKV files lack
sound when playing under 10.5. They were fine under 10.4.

VLC and MPlayer have no trouble playing them under Leopard.

Chris Forsythe

Oct 5, 2007, 7:32:07 AM10/5/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Ya, we can't talk about it now. Can you ping us on this when 10.5 is
out?

Chris

Ein

Oct 6, 2007, 2:18:55 AM10/6/07
to perian discussion
Just incase 10.5 comes out tomorrow. :-)

Here's the link to the problem child:
http://www.anime-kraze.org/torrent/%5BA-Kraze%5D_Seirei_no_Moribito_-_24_%5B69E47B40%5D.mkv.torrent

Will check back when 10.5 is official.

Thanks

CL

Alexander Strange

Oct 6, 2007, 5:12:29 PM10/6/07
to perian discussion

On Oct 5, 2:36 am, Ein <mgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's probably premature to discuss this, but some .MKV files lack
> sound when playing under 10.5. They were fine under 10.4.

Presumably this is http://trac.perian.org/ticket/252.

liangy...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2007, 8:56:39 PM10/27/07
to perian discussion
Hi, I just upgraded to 10.5, and I have noticed that .mkv files in
quicktime
do not have audio, however, the .mkv files played under vlc work
perfectly. I assume this is because of quicktime?

May i ask, will there be any fixes to perian, or any updates that are
coming soon to rectify the problem?

Alexander Strange

Oct 28, 2007, 3:06:15 AM10/28/07
to perian discussion

BTW, I just noticed that Apple's H.264 decoder is overriding us on
some mkv files. And it's still horribly slow to the point of
unusability on any given x264 encode.

Maybe we should rename ourselves 1111Perian.

Chris Forsythe

Oct 28, 2007, 3:24:02 AM10/28/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

If that'll help us not have this problem again, why not? :P

Chris

Isaac Ordonez

Oct 28, 2007, 12:57:02 PM10/28/07
to perian discussion
Basically if you put a space at the beginning of a file name (i.e "
Perian.file" instead of "Perian.file") it shows up first in finder and
also will get loaded first if Quicktime loads it's plugins
alphabetically.

--Isaac

On Oct 28, 2007, at 8:47 AM, Chris Forsythe wrote:

> I don't know about that trick, never used os 8. Also, reply to the
> list :)
>
> Chris
>
> On Oct 28, 2007, at 4:17 AM, Isaac Ordonez wrote:
>
>> Would the old OS 8 "space before a file name" trick work?
>>
>> --Isaac

Alexander Strange

Oct 28, 2007, 10:13:57 PM10/28/07
to perian discussion

On Oct 28, 12:57 pm, Isaac Ordonez <ordon...@mac.com> wrote:
> Basically if you put a space at the beginning of a file name (i.e "
> Perian.file" instead of "Perian.file") it shows up first in finder and
> also will get loaded first if Quicktime loads it's plugins
> alphabetically.
>
> --Isaac

Perian is already loaded here, since it's MKV; I'm not sure if
changing the file name would stop QT from searching for another codec
when it already has the good one.

(I thought there might be a hardcoded check for QuicktimeH264 but
there isn't)

Ciaran McNulty

Oct 29, 2007, 5:24:04 AM10/29/07
to perian discussion

Now Leopard is out...

I had the same problem yesterday playing an MKV with H.264 video and
AAC audio. The video played fine (once it was loaded) but the audio
was missing. Quicktime offered to find an audio codec for me but I
stupidly dismissed the dialogue and the sound didn't play at all.

On a sidenote, does anyone know how to tell quicktime I didn't mean it
and get it to search for a codec again?

Similar files with Ac3 audio play fine as far as I can tell.

-Ciaran McNulty

PoPPaP

Oct 30, 2007, 12:47:27 AM10/30/07
to perian discussion
This also happens to me. There is no sound when I played .MKV with AAC
audio.

gunn...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2007, 11:39:41 AM11/1/07
to perian discussion
Is anyone having trouble playing mpeg video in Quicktime under
Leopard?
Let me describe what's going on.
I have a Hacked directv Tivo unit from which I can extract video. The
video is extracted in its native format and converted to mpeg2 via
ffmpeg on the fly. Prior to Leopard, this worked flawlessly. Since
Leopard, Quicktime complains that whatever I play is not a movie
file. VLC plays the mpegs just fine.
Using get info in the finder, the filetype shows as mpeg-2 video.

I don't know where to look for the problem.
ffmpegx also agrees that the files are indeed mpeg2 video and has no
problem converting them to Divx

Graham Booker

Nov 1, 2007, 1:47:42 PM11/1/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
If you are talking about a mpeg2 file (and not mpeg2 video in a mkv or
avi file), then you are asking in the wrong place. Perian never did
anything with mpeg or mpeg2 files.

Isaac Ordonez

Nov 1, 2007, 2:37:59 PM11/1/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
You probably had previously purchased apple's MPEG2 component which is
here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

--Isaac

jvde

Nov 9, 2007, 4:19:03 PM11/9/07
to perian discussion
I installed Leopard on my old macmini PPC 1,5GHz with perian
installed, when I try to launch a movie through frontrow, the movie
plays but the video goes toooo quickly , completed desynchronised with
the sound. If i quit Frontrow, I can play the movie full screen with
quicktime and sometimes I have the same bug but not always.

Is my macmini too slow for leopard ? or is it a bug from leopard ?

Thanks