Trouble launching Perian

Johanna Rubba

Jul 5, 2013, 2:16:24 AM7/5/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I installed Perian on my MacBook Air 10.8.3. How do I launch the application? When I search "Perian" in the Finder, I get the Perian-1.2.3 folder with all its files, the Preference pane (which I filled out), the Developer files, image files, documents, etc. but I don't find any "Perian.app" or any reference to Perian in the Plug-ins folder. I don't see an icon or "Perian" in my Applications folder. I checked to make sure the correct files are in my Library. I did find a file "FFusion"; should that be removed?

I've been going nuts for about five days trying to get VLC to read .srt subtitles together with an .avi movie. Nothing seems to work, so I downloaded Perian to try to get it going.

If you reply to this post, please go easy on the lingo. I'm an ordinary person. Use terms I can find on my computer, or explain any jargon I might need. Thanks much!

Jeremy Agostino

Jul 7, 2013, 8:02:42 PM7/7/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Hey! Perian doesn't come with any player "app" or specific program that you use to play files with it. It's a plugin for QuickTime, which means that most applications that use QuickTime on your Mac will simply be able to open more types of movies. You can just use the regular QuickTime Player application to open the file you're trying to view. If you want subtitle to be displayed, make sure the SRT file has the same name as the movie file (without the AVI/MP4/etc extension) and its in the same folder. Then when you open the movie file the subs file should be auto detected.

-Jeremy

Etienne Samson

Jul 8, 2013, 6:24:50 AM7/8/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Le 5 juil. 2013 à 08:16, Johanna Rubba <raqa...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I've been going nuts for about five days trying to get VLC to read .srt subtitles together with an .avi movie. Nothing seems to work, so I downloaded Perian to try to get it going.

You should be able to get it to work (given your subtitle file is valid) by replacing the .srt filename with the .avi movie one. Or use the advanced open dialog in VLC.

HTH

Regards,
Etienne Samson
--