Why can't play .mkv on QuickTime X Lion?

Alex Lion

Feb 10, 2012, 6:14:23 PM2/10/12
to perian discussion
Hello,

I downloaded and installed Perian 1.2.3 and I can play .avi now on
QuickTime X and also some .mkv files!
but some of them can't be play and just can play them in QuickTime 7
or VLC.. but I really like QT X on Lion.

So when will come the new version that supports QuickTime X?

Graham Booker

Feb 10, 2012, 6:21:17 PM2/10/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
It's the same as this:
It's something Apple did, and there is absolutely nothing at all we can do about it.  Demand they fix it.  Alternatively, you can use the player which looks remarkably similar to QTX but predates it called NicePlayer: http://code.google.com/p/niceplayer/

Message has been deleted

Graham Booker

Apr 27, 2013, 1:50:33 PM4/27/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Why was this advertisement allowed on the list, especially since we've had to remove spam pointing at this company in the past?  Furthermore why did the poster reply to the original message from more than 2 months ago instead of the answer that I had given to the question on the same day?  How is this not a spammer?

If you are looking for tools that do transcoding and degrade the quality of the original, go with something that's open source instead of something that's closed source and uses open source engines (and possibly violating the licenses).  Handbrake would certainly be a good example of a free product that'll do a much better job.

On Apr 26, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Chuck Henry wrote:

There are other solutions for this issue. You can use a tool

<snip>

- Graham

Augie Fackler

Apr 27, 2013, 1:51:18 PM4/27/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 27, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Graham Booker <gbo...@cod3r.com> wrote:

> Why was this advertisement allowed on the list, especially since we've had to remove spam pointing at this company in the past? Furthermore why did the poster reply to the original message from more than 2 months ago instead of the answer that I had given to the question on the same day? How is this not a spammer?

Deeerp. I modded it through carelessly. Sorry.