Perian release query

desde...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2013, 9:21:28 AM4/2/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Forgive my ignorance, but I am not entirely clear whether the currently downloadable version of Perian (1.2.3) is actually the final release.
From looking through this list, it seems that there was a possibility of a post-1.2.3 release, which may work on Mountain Lion.
Currently, I am only running Lion, but am considering upgrading to 10.8. Before I do so, I'd like to make sure that I won't lose any Perian functionality, as I use it for video conversion in Quicktime, and I believe there is/was an issue with 10.8 and AC3 audio decoding in Perian. (I'm not very technical, so I hope I've expressed that correctly.)

So, could anyone put me right on the state of play? I'd be grateful for any clarification.

In any case, I have found Perian a terrifically useful tool, and would like to thank everyone involved with developing and maintaining it.

Best,

desdennett.

Christopher Forsythe

Apr 4, 2013, 11:07:41 AM4/4/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I no longer work on perian, but I'm the one who wrote the notice posted on the website. Essentially the goal was to have a release out by Christmas. That obviously didn't happen.

The real problem is that a release always sucks, and that nobody had time to put out a release. I've since moved on so I can't talk to anything current in the last few months, but I do not imagine that has changed much. I would not expect a release that is compatible with 10.8 at this point, especially since 10.9 is coming soon. Apple made it too difficult to work perian into their newer ecosystem.

Chris

Chris Forsythe

desdennett

Apr 5, 2013, 4:56:04 PM4/5/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response. I didn't even realise that 10.9 was already on the horizon. I can quite see how that would be another contributory factor to the unlikelihood of a 10.8-compatible release.
Well, it was good while it lasted, and the passing on of the source code means, presumably, that someone with the technical ability (not me, sadly) and disposition may take up the gauntlet.
Here's hoping!
Thanks again, and all the best.