Why Won't Quicktime Use Perian Via Safari?

Safari

May 28, 2012, 6:19:50 PM5/28/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I have Perian 1.2.3 with my Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac PPC. Thanks to Perian, I can play DivX - Xvid videos out of Quicktime form my Desktop. But I can't play the same ones using Quicktime in my Safari 4.1.3 browser.

Why can't I play those videos out of Safari, which is using Quicktime to play videos? What do I need to do  to accomplish this?

I note, Perian is the only thing I can get with this OS to play Xvid - DivX videos.

Swift2

May 29, 2012, 2:23:16 PM5/29/12
to perian discussion
Well, I'll take a stab. It's because Apple has given out the
information on how to write a plugin for QuickTime to play files made
with other codecs. Perian has found out ways to include old codecs,
including Windows-type files. (Not newer Windows formats, like .wmv.
But Apple only wants a limited number of codecs played in Safari. H.
264 mostly. Adobe makes the Flash plugin. Making the QuickTime plugin
easier to add codec support to in Safari? The browser is an "attack
surface" for viruses. And look at all the updates to Flash: most for
security. If bad guys can attack Flash, they can crash it and gain
control of your computer. Apple supports a lot of codecs. Look at a
list of them in Safari, under Help->Installed Plug-ins. But with the
<video> tag coming, plug-ins are going away.

Safari

May 30, 2012, 5:11:40 PM5/30/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I think that is the long way for you to say that Apple won't allow the plugin to be added? I'm not so sure about that, kind of doubt that.

Possibly there is something I need to do to add it in -- but I can't even find a Perian plugin to consider adding to anything. Or, possibly the makers of Perian simply overlooked the browser?

I don't know how Quicktime works in the browser, but I am surprised to find it lacks all the capabilities that it has otherwise.

Augie Fackler

May 30, 2012, 10:32:13 PM5/30/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On May 30, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Safari wrote:

> I think that is the long way for you to say that Apple won't allow the
> plugin to be added? I'm not so sure about that, kind of doubt that.
>
> Possibly there is something I need to do to add it in -- but I can't even
> find a Perian plugin to consider adding to anything. Or, possibly the
> makers of Perian simply overlooked the browser?
>
> I don't know how Quicktime works in the browser, but I am surprised to find
> it lacks all the capabilities that it has otherwise.

Basically, as I've experienced it, QuickTime doesn't always allow plugins to get all the access they need to a file in order to work their magic. Safari has been one of those cases for me not infrequently.

(The documentation situation for QuickTime Plugins is frankly dismal, and the last response I got from folks at the mothership was that the current API is deprecated and won't be documented or enhanced.)

> On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:23:16 AM UTC-7, Swift2 wrote:
>>
>> Well, I'll take a stab. It's because Apple has given out the
>> information on how to write a plugin for QuickTime to play files made
>> with other codecs. Perian has found out ways to include old codecs,
>> including Windows-type files. (Not newer Windows formats, like .wmv.
>> But Apple only wants a limited number of codecs played in Safari. H.
>> 264 mostly. Adobe makes the Flash plugin. Making the QuickTime plugin
>> easier to add codec support to in Safari? The browser is an "attack
>> surface" for viruses. And look at all the updates to Flash: most for
>> security. If bad guys can attack Flash, they can crash it and gain
>> control of your computer. Apple supports a lot of codecs. Look at a
>> list of them in Safari, under Help->Installed Plug-ins. But with the
>> <video> tag coming, plug-ins are going away.
>>
>> On May 28, 2:19 pm, Safari <me2u1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have Perian 1.2.3 with my Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac PPC. Thanks to
>>> Perian, I can play DivX - Xvid videos out of Quicktime form my Desktop.
>> But
>>> I can't play the same ones using Quicktime in my Safari 4.1.3 browser.
>>>
>>> Why can't I play those videos out of Safari, which is using Quicktime to
>>> play videos? What do I need to do to accomplish this?
>>>
>>> I note, Perian is the only thing I can get with this OS to play Xvid -
>> DivX
>>> videos.

Michel Memeteau

Jul 10, 2013, 4:40:41 AM7/10/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi , Just to say i'm experiencing the same : Works on QT for 10.5 after installing Perian 1.2.3 but not on G4 PPC. anybody found a solution ?

What would be the alternative , maybe trying with a <quicktime> object instead of <video> ?

My aim is to play Webm using videojs.