WTF is Modeling, Anyway?

DrQ

Mar 17, 2018, 3:36:39 PM3/17/18
to Performance Visualization
conversation with CAP management veteran, Boris Zibitsker, on his BEZnext channel.

He's interviewed a number of CMG modeling experts but, I really didn't want to do the typical pie-in-the-sky, hand-waiving, abstract, blah, blah, blah, about performance modeling.
It cost us more time but hopefully, some of the insights are worth it (there's a lot of 'em).

Depending on the audience and time available, I sometimes skip this war story in my GCAP classes. So, here it is.

Although not explicit, the log model does help to visualize what it actually going on and how it impacts performance. Prior to my model, there were hundreds of wild guesses about what was going on. Unfortunately, I had to pay attention to all of them and keep them in mind for a long time because one of them might've been correct. Turns out (as usual) they were all wrong and the log model proved that.

--njg