invitation to staged reading of We live in financial times at Brecht Forum Jan 20-21

Julia Barclay

Jan 19, 2012, 8:58:01 PM1/19/12
to perform...@googlegroups.com, deleuze-...@lists.driftline.org
Happy New Year lovely Performance List colleagues,

In case you're in NYC, it'd be lovely if you could come along....

All best,
Julia

Julia Lee Barclay, PhD
writer/director/researcher/professor

"We struggle with dream figures and our blows fall on living faces" Maurice Merleau-Ponty

***

OK, kids, let's sing along....the OWS/99% blues (written by 1%ers in the 60s...)....

You never give me your money
You only give me your funny paper
And in the middle of negotiations
You break down...
Out of college, money spent
see no future, pay no rent
Any jobber got the sack
Monday morning, turning back
But oh that magic feeling nowhere to go
Oh, that magic feeling
Nowhere to go

Sound familiar?

If so (or if you're in the 1% and want to show us how it's done), please join us for a staged reading of

We live in financial times, Part 1: Blackberry Curve
by Julia Lee Barclay

director: Rik Walter

performers:

Marietta Hedges*
Matt Higgins
Terry Runnels
Kevin Scott
Alyssa Simon*

at
The Brecht Forum
451 West Street (Bank & Bethune)

January 20 & 21
7:30pm

(includes talk-back with speakers from OWS and banking industry - should be a rollicking good time!)

Michael Probst/Associated Press
Who's laughing now?

We live in financial times, Part 1: Blackberry Curve is a darkly funny theatrical shell game wherein the conventions of character and story (in the form of Mike and James, investment bankers alone with an angry female voice they do not understand) collapse and attempt to frantically reassemble.  Global capitalism as tragic farce.

Want reservations?  Sure you do!

You can reserve directly through Brecht Forum at:

If you can pay something, we are grateful, as it benefits The Brecht Forum and Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory, who have donated space and time, and the artists, all of whom are volunteering their time.

If, however, you are in the industry or need a comp for any reason, please RSVP at ftreser...@gmail.com with your name and affiliation (union, theater, freelance, whatever...).  Your reservation is confirmed unless you hear back from us.  If you cannot make it, please do get in touch, as we have limited seating each night.

The Brecht Forum, founded in 1975, is an independent educational and cultural institution serving New York's broad left and progressive communities. Throughout the year, the Brecht Forum offers a
wide-ranging program of classes, public lectures and seminars, art exhibitions, performances, popular education workshops, and language classes. Some affiliated projects include the Institute for Popular Education, founded in 1990 iin collaboration with the Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory; and Arts at the Brecht, which includes ongoing arts programming in collaboration with such projects as Neues Kabarett, an experimental jazz series initiated in 1998, Strike Anywhere Theater Ensemble, and Red Channels, a radical media collective.

The Theater of the Oppressed Laboratory (TOPLAB) was founded in 1990 and is the oldest group in the United States offering facilitation training in the techniques of Theater of the Oppressed, a methodology created in the 1960s and 1970s by Brazilian director Augusto Boal, with whom TOPLAB facilitators enjoyed a close collaboration and working relationship until his death in 2009.

*appearing courtesy AEA

* appearing courtesy of Actors Equity Association