Cutting It Up workshops at The Brecht Forum, NYC - April & May

1 view

Julia Barclay

Mar 12, 2012, 12:44:02 AM3/12/12
to Paul Thompson, Peader Kirk, Peter Petralia, Philip Auslander, Polly Frame, perform...@googlegroups.com, Rachel Ellis, Rachel Gomme, Rachel Sweeney
Hi there and Happy Daylight Savings Time (in the US anyway...)!

I'm teaching some workshops at The Brecht Forum in April and May and am looking for some help to spread the word.  If you've worked with me before, seen the work I've directed or written and liked that work and/or helped develop it, it'd be great if you would recommend this workshop to people you know who may be interested.

Hope all is well,
Julia

Cutting It Up - one-day theater workshop

April 7, 2012 and May 12 at 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM

The Brecht Forum, NYC

In this workshop led by Julia Lee Barclay, we will break down both the basic elements of how we communicate with each other and the (mostly unspoken/hidden) rules which govern that communication. Working with verbal and gestural clichés relating to class, race, religion and gender, we will look at how (and to whom) we speak, and develop tools that will enable us to get underneath social clichés in a playful way, thus coaxing the hidden rules into the room.
This workshop is for theater/performance artists who want to learn new performing/devising tools and anyone interested in enhancing their communication/listening skills.

These techniques have been developed by Barclay in labs and workshops with actors (in NYC 1997-2003) and with actors, dancers, artists and musicians in London (2004-2011); this work formed the basis of my practice-as-research PhD (Apocryphal Theatre: practicing philosophies) and continues to inform my professional directing/writing and teaching.

For more info and to register:
http://brechtforum.org/civicrm/event/info?id=12178&reset=1 (April 7)
http://brechtforum.org/civicrm/event/info?id=12180&reset=1 (May 12)

Julia Lee Barclay, PhD
writer/director/researcher/professor
http://julialeebarclay.blogspot.com
646-242-6950

"We struggle with dream figures and our blows fall on living faces" Maurice Merleau-Ponty