Re: [s17-discussion] Fwd: [OSCREW] Fwd: Michael Premo Court Support Next Week

1 view

gan golan

Feb 21, 2013, 12:28:57 PM2/21/13
to occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, performa...@googlegroups.com, taxdo...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I am sure you already saw the email but I just wanted to strongly underscore it....

Michael Premo is one of our smartest, most articulate and innovative organizers, having been at the center of some of the most incredible efforts within Occupy, from Occupy Our Homes to Occupy Sandy. The charges against him are bullshit. He was targetted. This case is without question a direct attack on community organizing, on free speech, on occupy, on all of us. I have been in similar situations myself and seeing your people show up not only makes an impression on the court, it means a lot to the person sitting on trial.

Am I insanely busy these days? Yes.  I am still planing to be in court on wednesday for at least part of the day? Absolutely.

Hope to see you there,
gan

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Drew Hornbain <dr...@nycga.net> wrote:

forwarded:

Dear friends,

I'm writing to ask for your support and presence next week starting Tuesday, February 26th or Wednesday, February 27th to stand with our dear friend and comrade Michael Premo as he faces a jury of his "peers." We need lots of our peers in the room!

Many of you know Michael as a tireless advocate for change, a revolutionary, a storyteller, and a loyal friend.

Michael was targeted and arrested last December while standing peacefully on the sidewalk during an Occupy protest. He was tackled to the ground during his arrest and is now facing outrageous trumped up assault charges. Beyond the injustice that Michael never should have been arrested in the first place, he is facing serious charges and potential substantial jail sentence, even though he never should have been arrested at all. We are going to do everything we can to fight these charges but we need your support.

His trial starts next week Monday, when he goes in and is assigned a court room. Tuesday will be jury selection, and the jury trial will begin possibly Tuesday afternoon, but it is most likely that it will get underway on Wednesday morning.

We are asking for the most support on Wednesday morning and through the day Wednesday. Please stand by in case we need people earlier (on Tuesday) or other days next week. Our dream team legal squad has compared jury selection to watching paint dry, but if you have the time and want to support, please come by. Even if you can come for an hour or a couple hours, your presence will help us stand against this injustice.

Please join us:

Wednesday, February 27th, beginning at 9:30am and throughout the day
100 Centre Street, New York, NY
(we will send details of the trial room as soon as we have it)
We request that if you are coming for court support, that you dress and act with reverence for the court. Our aim is to be silent but powerful. Your sheer presence will be a huge step in letting the court know how many people are behind Michael.

We are grateful to all of our friends and would be especially grateful to have you by our side at this time.

Please share with your communities and help spread the word,

Rachel