Flip The Debt - Jan 30 action: Your ideas and Participation needed

gan golan

Jan 22, 2013, 7:02:42 PM1/22/13
to taxdo...@googlegroups.com, occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, performa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Puppeteers et al,

Our good friends at United NY are doing an action on Jan 30 and want YOU. If we can figure out something awesome, there is a budget to make it happen. Below is one idea, but they are open to more. Let's use this opportunity to do something great!

FLIP THE DEBT

A powerful alliance of Wall Street corporations are calling themselves FIX THE DEBT and in the guise of reducing the national debt, trying to achieve their long term goal of slashing Social Security, Medicare and other part of the social safety net that working people created, and need. What they are trying to distract from, is the fact that much of the National Debt comes from Tax Cuts for the top 1% and allowing corporations to dodge their taxes through loopholes and hiding their profits in offshore accounts.

We ain't gonna let that happen!

On Jan 30 United NY is planning an action to FLIP THE DEBT, where we would flip the issue and put the attention where it should be:  making The 1% pay their fair share while protecting The 99% from punishing, unfair cuts to cover their mistakes.

Ideas for creative actions are needed ASAP!

CURRENT IDEA:

The current thought is to host an action at the famous debt clock (which is located here) only we bring our our own debt clock (a giant, prop that lights up, perhaps) that displays the number of how much we are losing to tax avoidance schemes of the 1%, which is around $1.5 Trillion a year.

However, if we can think of other ideas, then let's brainstorm!

Please hit this list if you are interested in working on this, and any ideas you have, and we can set up a call in the next day or so.

Gan

Jan 25, 2013, 4:55:19 PM1/25/13
to occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, taxdo...@googlegroups.com, performa...@googlegroups.com
You are absolutely right. Defense spending is a HUGE part of the story. If the US needs to make any cuts to reduce the deficit, it should be to ridiculous, wasteful pentagon spending.

However, the Jan 30 'Flip The Debt'  action is focusing on a specific piece of the issue:  the corporations and 1% who have stolen from us by refusing to pay their fair share of taxes, abusing loopholes, and hiding offshore accounts, who are now trying to make cuts to the 99%.

Anyone have thoughts on *that* angle?

That being said, the defense cuts angle (love the monopoly guy/tank idea!) is going to be relevant to some upcoming actions so stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 25, 2013, at 6:41 AM, darthmarkh <darth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Isn't all these looming cuts to the social safety net happening because of the massive and ever growing 'defense' budgets / war funding...

We could have a large cardboard tank, representing the military industrial complex, being driven with Monopoly man (1%) popping out the hatch, driving it. The corporate masks from the wedding could be painted with the logos of major defense contractors and dressed in camo, army gear.

The tank and the corporate army would then be chasing / firing at street theatre elements representing social security, medicare and medicaid???

99% coffins could be carried behind the tank, showing a trail of death...

'Corporate side' signs could say things like, 'Perpetual War for 1% Profit! '

Kim Fraczek

Jan 25, 2013, 5:10:23 PM1/25/13
to occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, taxdo...@googlegroups.com, performa...@googlegroups.com
I mean... I know that we don't quite have time for this unless we don't sleep, but to push along the lines of the military spending linked to private contracts that don't pay tax kinda debt we want to flip, I'm seeing a huge tank made out of foam that rolls into the rally. However the puppeteers are all inside the tank which then comes apart into several parts and opens up to reveal the flip the debt message to imagery of a healthy planet. Parks, people picnicking, geodesic domes and the sun...

Idea of grandeur to make it by the 30th, but perhaps that image can trigger something in someone....

SOLIDARITY, IT'S WORKING!

Kim Fraczek