Temperature check on potential Dec 21 "End of World" spin action

Morgan Jenness

Dec 13, 2012, 4:10:05 PM12/13/12
to OccuE...@googlegroups.com, occupyto...@googlegroups.com, Occup...@interoccupy.net, taxdo...@googlegroups.com, occupy-wall-stre...@googlegroups.com, outr...@nycga.net, occupyh...@googlegroups.com, Occupy Faith NYC

Hey all,

There has been some discussion in the People’s Puppet guild about doing something to try to akido the focus and energy around the faux “End of the World” frenzy around the ending of ONE long form Mayan calendar.

I am contacting people here NOT as an official representative of Puppets here but as an individual member of OWS to see whether there is any interest in perhaps trying to do some kind of larger action around this idea and event.

The core idea would be a variation of the flip cards that have been used  (like Kevin Bud Jones and some others have done so effectively)

Basically a whole group of people with IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD signs – which then flip into IT’S THE END OF ……(fill in the blank……   All the things OWS cares about) and/or IT’S THE BEGINNING OF…might even be better (and imply the end of what we want to end with a more positive spin)

I’m thinking it’s also a way for all the groups to come together – and hand out literature about their particular concerns – including everyone on this list and Occupy Sandy, Strike Debt, Occupy the Pipeline, 99 Pickets etc. etc. – and really perhaps show a large OWS united front – yes, around a silly cultural mistaken appropriated trope – but akidoing it into something potentially impactful and making a public presence in a potent – and fun – way. There will be a lot of press about the silliness – maybe we can spin that into something potent?

Let me know your thoughts and whether people feel this might be of interest.  I think Rev Billy and Stop Shopping Choir might be planning something for that day - would be great to have all kinds of music as well potentially – Guitarmy?  Occuponics?

I think it can be pretty simple – perhaps trying to get some uniformity in the END OF THE WORLD signs and then making sure all our concerns are represented in some elegant but inclusive way…giving people the opportunity to then piggy back their particular concerns and do their own as well as general OWS outreach…Puppets may be doing some funny pyramid hats, other groups might make their own choices for added imagery so there might be autonomy on that as well as basic potentially consensus on the flip sign idea?

Anyway, I’m taking a temperature check as to whether this is something feasible on line first – and then perhaps we can have a meeting –(I would say add to Monday Movement meeting though I’m not sure I can be there – maybe if people like the idea someone else can run with it there?)

Occupy the End of the World.  Or the Beginning of another World  (Another World IS Possible)

Thanks!

Morgan Jen

PS  Let me also know if there are already plans afoot around this idea– perhaps to coordinate/support?  Also, I know I am missing  a lot of people with this email – if you like the idea please feel free to send it around…thanks.