Invitation to Feast and Ceremony

Noah Fischer

Nov 8, 2013, 11:51:42 AM11/8/13
to performa...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends, makers of ritual, lovers of New York and of justice,

We invite you to two happenings Thursday the 14th and Tuesday the 19th in Williamsburg.

These are feasts and collaborative ceremonies celebrating community in New York and highlighting the massive displacement of the 99% due to the forces of speculation, etc.  We invite you to collaborate with us in these rituals to inspire the ongoing struggle of shelter for all in NYC. These collective activities will constitute a social sculpture in the shadows of nearly finished luxury condos on the East River of Williamsburg.

The venue is at “BiBA Performa” --BiBA of Williamsburg 110 Kent Avenue and its part of Performa 13 festival.

Thursday, November 14  5:00 PM–late

http://13.performa-arts.org/event/pawe-althamer

An evening of (free) dinner, drinks, collaborative painting, and spontaneous performances at Biba Performa accompanied by fire, food, drink, projections, sound, and people. The work on 50 ft long monumental sculpture “Queen Mother of Reality” continues on the scenic waterfront and we’ll improvise a performance with the half finished sculpture. “Queen Mother of Reality” is a reclining woman looking across the water to Manhattan built from scaffolding, local discarded scraps by the artists and other volunteers, and is a companion sculpture to another great lady: the Statue of Liberty. Queen Mother gestures to a new spirit of New York – in addition to welcoming immigrants from overseas for a new life, she watches over people being displaced by Bloomberg era real-estate economics, and stands for shelter for all. Queen Mother represents the universal mother, all mothers and Mother Earth the source of live and sustenance and sustainability. In addition to fighting displacement we call for sustainable communities based on social, environmental and economic justice; a renaissance of Liberty.  Find out more about the project and meet Polish artist Pawel Althamer and the collaborating artists: Noah Fischer, Roman Stańczak,  Rafal Zwirek and Aaron Burr Society, and Paweł’s sons Szymon and Bruno.

Tuesday November 19th

Space open from 1 PM

dinner (tickets needed-please contact us about getting comps) starts at 6:30 PM.

Please contact Performa for dinner tickets and talk to us about collaborative performances.

The artists present a formal feast in honor of Queen Mother Dr. Louis Blakely as well as all mothers displaced from their homes.

For the past 30 years former Catholic nun and Community mayor or Harlem, Queen Mother, has been an advocate for women's rights. Currently she is struggling against predatory lenders to stay in her house at 477 West 142nd Street. During Occupy Wall Street, she housed many occupiers in this house and joined Occupy Museums and other groups in many actions.

Please join us for a multi-course feast and ceremony on the Autumn East River seeking a sustainable living environment in New York where housing is understood as a human right, and community takes its rightful place over the mindset of speculation.  Share in the commonwealth of Mother Earth as our source subsistence- even in one of the world’s biggest cities--nurturing our bodies and souls as we build sustainable communities based on collaboration and dignity.

The ceremony comes at a time of potential political change in NYC following the elections. We need a shift!

Queen Mother Dr Louis Blakely will be present at the dinner to accept a gift from the artists, and to bless the 50 foot long steel and mixed media sculpture “Queen Mother of Reality” which will be ceremonially moved to a spot beside the East River.  Szymon Althamer, master chef based in Warsaw will design a unique performative feast followed by live music and dancing and painting and being together.

In addition to the two events, we will be working on the sculpture and doing collective drawings during the day. You can stop by from 1 PM and the dinner starts at 6:30.

Yours,

Noah Fischer, artist

Jim Costanzo, Aaron Burr Society

--
noahfischer.org
queen_poster1 (1).jpg

Kanene Holder

Nov 8, 2013, 1:45:33 PM11/8/13
to performa...@googlegroups.com
This sounds SOOOOOOO amazing and juicy!

Please let me know how I can collab! I'm UBERexcited!

enjoy!!1

Kanene Holder (Educator, Blogger & Artist)
Mobile: 917-318-8115
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kanene-holder/

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
-Nelson Madiba Mandela

Noah Fischer

Nov 8, 2013, 2:44:36 PM11/8/13
to performa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kanene,

Yes, a performance would be great- come by before the 14th.

Noah

Maraya LOPEZ

Nov 15, 2013, 7:23:47 PM11/15/13
to performa...@googlegroups.com
Hey Noah,

How can I go about getting ticket for Maura and I if it is not too late?

Maraya