PeptideShaker for HPC cluster

HFaz

Jan 15, 2016, 3:51:39 PM1/15/16
to PeptideShaker
Hi All,
Is there any tutorial for running PeptideShaker on HPC cluster?
Thanks
Hfaz

Marc Vaudel

Jan 15, 2016, 5:15:06 PM1/15/16
to PeptideShaker
Hi,

You will find the documentation on how to run our tools in command line in our wikis:

For the setup of clusters there are a few things we recommend:
- keep a "clean" copy of the tool and distribute it before execution. Don't run multiple command lines from the same instance.
- use the 'temp_folder' option to locate the temporary files of each instance
- use the 'zip' and 'data' options to package the results

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to write again in case anything is unclear :)

Best regards,

Marc

Felix Boos

Apr 4, 2016, 1:39:43 PM4/4/16
to PeptideShaker
Hi,
I have two additional questions about running SearchGUI and PeptideShaker on a HPC cluster:
- do they require OpenGL?
- how many cores can they use, i.e. is there a limit as of which more cores will not be beneficial?
Thanks,
Felix

Harald Barsnes

Apr 15, 2016, 6:54:18 AM4/15/16
to PeptideShaker

Hi Felix,

Sorry for the late reply. The answers are quite simple though. No, OpenGL is not required. And no, there is no generally limit on the number of cores that can be used.

Regarding a limit on when adding more cores will not be beneficial we have not done any such tests ourselves. But it would very much depend on the process. For example the search engines will most likely utilize the cores differently. So the only way to know would be to test I'm afraid. But we would be very interested to know how it turns out.

Best regards,
Harald

Innocent Onsongo

Aug 22, 2019, 9:41:00 AM8/22/19
to PeptideShaker
Hi,
I have a question about running PeptideShaker on an HPC cluster. I have a script that runs SearchGUI in parallel. Each SearchGUI instance uses a different search engine. This produces two different outputs for each search engine. My question is can I also run PeptideShaker separately for each search engine results or do I need to combine SearchGUI output? I basically want to know if I can parallelize PeptideShaker to use multiple nodes on a HPC cluster.

Thanks!

Marc Vaudel

Aug 27, 2019, 2:52:24 AM8/27/19
to PeptideShaker
Hi Innocent,

After SearchGUI, PeptideShaker creates a unified set of peptide-spectrum matches. This needs to be done for all search engine results together, so I am afraid running different instances of PeptideShaker on different nodes is not possible.

Hope it helps,

Marc

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/peptide-shaker/e1f27b25-d339-4eba-8404-ffbe27b52da0%40googlegroups.com.