new release to PyPI

Florent

Sep 14, 2010, 2:05:04 PM9/14/10
to pep8
I proposed to release a new version of PEP8 on PyPI
http://github.com/jcrocholl/pep8/issues#issue/18

I can help, my PyPI login is "flox"

Thanks,

--
Florent Xicluna

Reinout van Rees

Sep 14, 2010, 2:26:28 PM9/14/10
to pe...@googlegroups.com
On 09/14/2010 08:05 PM, Florent wrote:
> I proposed to release a new version of PEP8 on PyPI
> http://github.com/jcrocholl/pep8/issues#issue/18

a) Yep, looks good. +1 for merging to trunk.

b) I'm using it in production for a loooong time now, so pep8 ought to
be a 1.0 instead of 0.5, really :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - rei...@vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Programmer at http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl

Johann C. Rocholl

Sep 19, 2010, 6:03:11 PM9/19/10
to pe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florent, thanks very much for your changes. I'm working on your
pull request: planning to merge florentx/master and then publish new
release to PyPI. Currently building Python 2.7 for local testing...

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Reinout van Rees <rei...@vanrees.org> wrote:
> b) I'm using it in production for a loooong time now, so pep8 ought to be a
> 1.0 instead of 0.5, really :-)

Reinout, were you using Florent's version? I haven't looked through
all changes yet, but it looks like some of them are non-trivial. Maybe
we could call this release 0.9 or 1.0RC1 (release candidate 1). Or
yes, maybe 1.0 and then release 1.1 soon if necessary.

:-) Johann

Reinout van Rees

Sep 19, 2010, 6:26:19 PM9/19/10
to pe...@googlegroups.com
On 09/20/2010 12:03 AM, Johann C. Rocholl wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Reinout van Rees<rei...@vanrees.org> wrote:
>> b) I'm using it in production for a loooong time now, so pep8 ought to be a
>> 1.0 instead of 0.5, really :-)
>
> Reinout, were you using Florent's version? I haven't looked through
> all changes yet, but it looks like some of them are non-trivial. Maybe
> we could call this release 0.9 or 1.0RC1 (release candidate 1). Or
> yes, maybe 1.0 and then release 1.1 soon if necessary.

I haven't actually used it, I just went through the changes. What I saw
was OK. The most invasive change I saw was to allow something like:

something = {'a': 12,
'b': 13,
'c': 14
}

So without a closing comma on the last line. Actually, I've gotten used
to adding that comma. But every time I thought it to be unnecessary.

I'm able to defend the requirement for the comma by pointing out that it
is easier to re-order items that way, though.

So: yes, *do* keep an eye out for the changes introduced here, I might
not be strict enough :-)

Regarding the version number: yeah, perhaps make it an rc or a 0.9. But
don't forget to tag it as a proper 1.0 soon afterwards. It is
production-ready *now*.

Florent

Sep 19, 2010, 7:13:06 PM9/19/10
to pep8
Yes, there's many small changes. I fixed some bugs reported on
Github, and some annoyances I met myself. And I pulled some changes
from other branches, too. I took care to document each change in the
CHANGES.txt.

I reorganized the test suite to ease maintenance, because we had lots
of very small test files, and it was not easy to add new tests. And
the new test suite gives better control to list the expected errors
for each case.

You're free to tweak this like you prefer. Thank you for pulling it
to trunk.
I'm impressed the number of people which use this tool. I see it is
packaged on Debian, and probably many other distributions.

Finally, you can close some issues in the tracker, now :-)

--
Florent Xicluna

On Sep 20, 12:03 am, "Johann C. Rocholl" <joh...@rocholl.net> wrote:
> Hi Florent, thanks very much for your changes. I'm working on your
> pull request: planning to merge florentx/master and then publish new
> release to PyPI. Currently building Python 2.7 for local testing...

Alec Thomas

Sep 19, 2010, 7:19:10 PM9/19/10
to pe...@googlegroups.com
On 20 September 2010 09:13, Florent <florent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, there's many small changes.  I fixed some bugs reported on
> Github, and some annoyances I met myself.  And I pulled some changes
> from other branches, too. I took care to document each change in the
> CHANGES.txt.
>
> I reorganized the test suite to ease maintenance, because we had lots
> of very small test files, and it was not easy to add new tests.  And
> the new test suite gives better control to list the expected errors
> for each case.
>
> You're free to tweak this like you prefer.  Thank you for pulling it
> to trunk.
> I'm impressed the number of people which use this tool.  I see it is
> packaged on Debian, and probably many other distributions.

Agreed, pep8 is great. I have it integrated into my text editor so it
highlights PEP8 issues on the fly, which is quite awesome!

--
I think I see the problem. The problem is that you are wrong.