the election petitions

xBlog ☪ Cool Sociopolitical Blogs

Jun 11, 2013, 4:18:29 AM6/11/13
to people-ar...@googlegroups.com

the election petitions

The election petitions
Will it go the majority way?
Will it die in the court of law?
When the Judiciary has lost its independence

Pakatan Rakyat will file the cases
The testing of the cases in court of law
Some may say it is a futile exercise
When the Judiciary's credibility is wanting

The testing of the ground
If the party doesn't file it
The answer will not be known
The dream will just cry in the darkness

The majority voters had spoken
The minority got the mandate
Now tempting  its muscle
Telling the majority to meditate

The election petitions
The last battle for GE13
The fight of the majority
Losing the chair through gerrymandering

Winning Hearts And Minds

Well, looks like all the preaching has not been in vain. This is very heartening for me.

I have received the following mails plus a few more.

1. Salam alaik Encik Syed Ali,

Saya mula ikut blog encik selepas membaca ketiga-tiga buku encik. Then I was added into your FB group through a friend of mine. Selama itu, saya cuma menjadi pembaca dan pemerhati. Dan saya dah baca setiap satu posting encik sejak blog ini diwujudkan. One of my favourite is 'Shalat of Shuaib'.

Saya terpanggil untuk menulis kali ini kerana:

1.  tulisan encik (quote)  '...Plus in this country you are not allowed to speak freely about 'religion'. So I will keep my views to myself.  Bukan rugi saya pun'.
2. satu komen pembaca blog yg kata (lebih kurang begini) 'bukannya ada orang nak dengar pun apa pak syed cakap."

Encik memang tak rugi apa pun tapi kami yang rugi dan komen itu tak tepat kerana selama ini ada yg mahu mendengar seperti kami.

Terima kasih saya ucapkan kepada encik. Quran 39:18 -The most beautiful ayat which you always mention. Encik takkan tahu betapa besarnya sumbangan encik terhadap pemikiran dan pemahaman saya terhadap Islam.  God bless you. Dan samarkan nama saya jika encik bercadang menerbitkan tulisan ini.

2. salam SAA. :   sebelum ini i joined your FB quranic studies. later on i was kicked out becoz i couldn't tolerate with your views. but lately after reading your blog and reading all the commentaries, i think most of the arguments make sense especially on the 'religious topic",  i think i should rationalised my thinking and become more open-minded person,  though i may disagree with some of the arguments. (haatu burhanukum in quntum sadiqeen) I hope you can invite me once again, so I can learn and train my brain to think critically again.

3.  Tuan,  Saya amat berminat utk mengikuti lebih mendalam perbincangan Tuan. Setiap artikel di blog Tuan mengenai Islam saya akan baca dan saya akan komen. Setiap hari saya menanti2 utk membaca artikel Tuan.  Terima Kasih.

4. Dear Tuan Syed,  I have been a long-time silent follower of your blog. It is liberating.  Thank you very much for teaching me how to "read" the Quran.   Thanks.

Thank you everyone. Terima kasih banyak dan Salamun Alaikum. We will keep moving forward.

Thinking is free. The widest and deepest ocean in the world is that which lies between our two ears - our brain.  Try to keep your barins 100% independent.

People can make you physically obey traffic rules (which are good), we may agree to follow laws (also a very good thing) we may be required to subscribe to some belief (which is usally a very bad thing) but no one should be given the right or the power to influence what you think inside that oyster shell that sits on your shoulders.

That is a strictly restricted zone. Restricted to you only. Private property. No one other than you should be allowed access to it. No entry permitted. Only you are permitted access to your own mind and your own thinking.

That is the one true liberated zone where you have the complete freedom to think about anything you want. When I write about Islam from the Quran, that is what I am telling you. To liberate your minds from the Mental Bondage which has been cast upon you by the serbanis, the low level thinkers, the fools and the uneducated.

You should read what I say but why should you believe in what I say? That is your choice, your freedom and it is up to you. I can only say things to you but I cannot force you or even demand that you believe what I say. That is your freedom.

The serbanis say if you dont follow them - you will go to hell. Before they send you to their hell, they will torture you first with their satanic laws.

So who is on the right path? The serbanis? Think again. Remember that wide and deep blue ocean which is inside your head. That is the real source of the Blue Ocean Strategy. Bon Voyage.

A Living Nation

By Allan CF Goh   A nation cannot live With its people truncated, Like the dried fallen leaf, Crushed and emasculated.A people cannot thrive, Under any tyranny, Be it of racist strife, Or undeserved agony. A state cannot progress If she rejects the truly best, And goes on to transgress Her people’s talented quest. A […]

the malaysian badminton

The Malaysian badminton
The years we don't see world beaters
Every year we rely on Lee Chong Wei
He will call his day in a year or two

The second stringers
They can't perform at top level
They will crumble on the court
The Malaysian badminton is losing steam

The authority hasn't learned
Critics gave good account of assessment
Yet the movers can't pick it up
They ignore giving all silly excuses

The association should have past champions
In this way the heart and beats will grow
The former champions will sink their souls
Give the sport a deserved break of value

Right now we are going downhill
The neighbouring countries knocking the door
Lee Chong Wei will hang up his racket
Where will be our world beaters next?

everyone has a problem

When troubles get to you
Do you charge it on or do you run?
Do you try to ignore it?
Do you totally falling down?

The best way study the problem
Why it happens to you?
There is a reason for everything
You shouldn't put a blame

Face the facts
Write it down and look at the options
Don't always take the easy way out
Hang by a rope or jump from the bridge

The chicken way out
Somebody will take the problem
The family members
Picking up the pieces

Every one has a problem
In the course of the daily routines
Even death will face the dilemma
If you can't find a solution share it

life is a journey

Life isn't a bed of roses
Life isn't a smiling glow
Life isn't a Superman
Life isn't a single destination

Life has its potential
Life has its wonderful gift
Life to learn and live
Life to live in paradise

Life isn't born and die
Life is to walk the roads
Life of good; life of bad
Life to learn God's words

Life of merry go round
Life of of bounty and paradise
Life to live and learn
Life of heaven in God's work

Managing Gen Y: Working With And Through Them

KUALA LUMPUR, June 10: Zubedy (M) Sdn. Bhd. launched a new product Managing Generation Y: Working with and through them’ at their office in Kuala Lumpur today.

‘Managing Generation Y’ is a workshop that is designed to help management get the best of Generation Y.  “Generation Y is a product of a different time, upbringing, and culture”, comments Anas Zubedy, founder and Managing Director of Zubedy. “They need to be engaged differently to effectively assist them to perform better,” he added.

Anas went on to state that, “At the bottom of any programme, be they for Gen X or Gen Y, corporate goals should be the main focus. It is not about what Gen X or Gen Y wants, it is about what the company needs. Our job is to make employees happy and performing regardless of generation.”

With the launch of this programme and its mirror programme, Gen Y 2.0 – How to get the best from Generation BB+X, Zubedy plans to do more than addressing the situation one-sidedly but to also engage the Gen Y directly. An old Malay saying would explain the need aptly, ‘Bertepuk sebelah tangan tak akan berbunyi’.

Around 70 corporate and Human Resources leaders attended the launch. Bhuvanes Krishnasamy, Senior Manager of Human Resources at Sunway Property says, “The idea to have a mirror programme is unique and workable. It is not enough to deal with one side.”

Rosehaida Ab Rahman, General Manager, Human Resources, and Administration at iPerintis Sdn. Bhd. who have attended the Managing Gen Y programme says, “I like the way Zubedy approaches the generational challenge.  It is not about pointing fingers and complaining, it is more about finding the right formula, the right compromise.” Asrina Shariff from Energizer concurred with Rosehaida. She stressed, “The approach will be an eye opener to both Gen Y and those managing them. Both sides will come to realise that change affects all, not just one particular generation.”

Other guests include, the Chairperson of Women’s Institute of Management (WIM), Y. Bhg. Tan Sri Dato’ Napsiah Omar and Executive Director of Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Africa Asia Destitute Relief Friendship Association (ADRF), Dr. Sharon Tong.

Moderated by Alvin Fernandez, Zubedy’s Business Development Manager, the presentation included brief description of and findings from Zubedy’s Multigenerational Workforce survey done in 2012, as well as the features, approach and content of the Gen Y workshops.

A book which is especially dedicated to Gen Y – #MoneyTalk: 139 easy guides on how to make and keep money without cheating or corruption’, was also launched simultaneously with the workshops. “It will serve as a reminder and act to supplement the workshops. Participants can have a quick recap of some of the lessons and tips recommended by simply reading the book,” adds Alvin.

Sleep Woes Tied To Prostate Cancer Risk In Study.

Sleep problems may increase men's risk for prostate cancer, a new study suggests.

"Prostate cancer is one of the leading public health concerns for men, and sleep problems are quite common," said study author Dr. Lara Sigurdardottir, of the University of Iceland in Reykjavik. "If our results are confirmed with further studies, sleep may become a potential target for intervention to reduce the risk for prostate cancer."

Her study included about 2,100 men, aged 67 to 96, in Iceland. They were asked if they took medications to help them sleep, had trouble falling asleep or woke up during nights or early in the morning and had difficulty going back to sleep.

The researchers found that 14.4 percent of the men had severe or very severe sleep problems.

None of the men had prostate cancer at the start of the study. During five years of follow-up, 6.4 percent were diagnosed with prostate cancer, according to the study, which was published May 7 in the Journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.

After adjusting for age, the researchers concluded that men with sleep problems were 1.6 to 2.1 times more likely to develop prostate cancer than those without sleep problems. Risk increased with the severity of sleeping problems.

The association was stronger for advanced prostate cancer than for overall prostate cancer. Those with very severe sleep problems had a more than threefold increased risk of advanced prostate cancer, the researchers found.

"Sleep problems are very common in modern society and can have adverse health consequences," Sigurdardottir said in a journal news release. "Women with sleep disruption have consistently been reported to be at an increased risk for breast cancer, but less is known about the potential role of sleep problems in prostate cancer."

She said these findings need to be confirmed in a larger and longer study.

Although the study found a potential association between sleep problems and prostate cancer, it did not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

Courtesy of MSN

Interview with FMT (Video)

the men in blue

War on criminals
Is it finally got the act?
Maybe it is just lip service
The day routines will fall in

The men in blue
The in-house black spots
It is better they search inwards
Build your credibility for the people

It needs a lot of cases
The people will be watching
The low down of your credibility
The public is worried

The dirty cops
The sadistic blues
The police should wipe them out
The war on criminals apply both ways

Apply the law
Without fear or favours
The men in blue
A long way to establish credibility

Confession of A Teach for Malaysia Teacher

Editor's note: The following is taken from the Facebook status of Alina Amir, a Teach for Malaysia teacher with her permission. In these times of plunging education standards, it is both heartwarming and at the same time heartwrenching to see such determined, bright individuals struggle with educating our children. One must wonder however, how much real change can a few teachers make? The education system requires structural reform from the inside especially. Good things to ponder while reading this excellent 'confession'.

So here’s a public confession: After 4 months into teaching, I came back from a class this morning, put my books on my desk, coolly walked to the ladies, and broke down; with tears, sobs, frantically fanned myself with my hands thinking that could help calm me down, the whole enchilada. Something I have not done for a very long time.
In the last four months, I could have cried when I had kids calling me a prostitute in mandarin, or that time when a kid told me I should not mess with him because his dad is part of the notorious along gangster crew (which I have never heard of and the phrase “ignorance is bliss” could not have rung truer), or that time when I was wolf whistled at for weeks wherever I went, or when a disruptive boy decided get up in the middle of my lesson, ran around the room and banged every table before he ran out of the class despite me calling after him and then having him come back and literally went on the floor, hugging my feet and begged for my forgiveness the same day, or when I was locked in the school building and then had to come out through the roof (long story) or when a big fat rat, literally, decided to chill right in front of my front door. Those were legit reasons to cry if I wanted to cry. But I didn’t. Not a single tear rolled down my cheeks. I stood up to my boys, I had sleepless nights thinking of strategies to get my kids to just sit down for a single lesson, told every kid who threatened me to bring it on, went to every boy who wolf whistled and threw inappropriate remarks at me, looked them straight in the eyes and said, “how dare you”. I have got nothing to lose and I am sure, as hell is not scared of anybody, no matter who your daddy is.

This morning however, was different. In fact, I wasn’t teaching at all this morning. I was in a form 4 class, of which I only teach PJK to the six of the girls every week. So what was I doing with the entire class? I was invigilating their mid year exam, Sejarah Kertas 3 to be exact; An open book test where students are required to write an essay on a topic given. Just as I finished handing out the exam papers to all 35 students, one boy put his hand up and asked, “ujian apa hari ni, cikgu?” and I went, “HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHAT PAPER YOU ARE SITTING FOR ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM AND EVEN AFTER I HAVE HANDED OUT THE EXAM PAPER” silently in my head. Out loud, I said, “ujian Sejarah, kertas 3. Ujian ni boleh tengok buku, so keluarkan lah buku”. Half of the classroom started to rummage through their bags and looked under their tables for books while the other half put their heads down and went to sleep. Ten minutes into the exam, they were all just staring at their books, opened to the first page. I went to a boy and asked if he knew what he was supposed to do. He shook his head and continued staring at his book. Another boy looked at me pleadingly, and asked, “cikgu, macam mana nak buat ni?” No one was writing anything. No one.

I went to one of the girls and asked her to read the question and then looked for the answer in the book. The first question she asked after I told her that was, “bab berapa tu?” and I could sense the whole class was waiting for me to tell her which chapter to open to. I knew then, that they have never read a single thing from their textbook nor have they learned anything in the past four months of school. Heck, I wouldn’t be going too far if I said they barely learned anything in the last 10 years of school. At that moment, I saw their future flashed through my eyes and I wanted to cry.

I wanted to cry because it was unfair for them to be sitting for an exam that they are clearly not ready for. I wanted to cry because someone allowed this to happen. I wanted to cry because as I was explaining to some of the students on how to do the exam and they were eagerly listening, while I was quietly panicking because I am no way near being a Sejarah Form 4 teacher. I wanted to cry because I felt incompetent, wishing I remembered what I learned back in From 4 so that I can teach them something at that moment. I wanted to cry because it is not their fault. But most of all, I wanted to cry because I have 200 students and I have classes back to back from 7.30 AM up to 10.00PM every day that it would be completely impossible to take on new students. All I could think of was how if only all the educated people in the country would spend their time teaching these kids, then maybe, maybe I’d be writing a different story.

I have never actually done this before; asking people to consider teaching. I believe that entering into the profession should come out of your own will. I have never recommended Teach for Malaysia to anyone. In fact, I’d be all-skeptical to anyone who are actually considering to join TFM. What are you in for? To have connections with top corporate partners? To meet CEOs of this and that? To be featured in newspapers, radio, magazines, online blogs? What are you in for? Is it the tagline? Is it really for the kids? I’ve been asked these questions before and I personally used to think that it was a fair concern. It needs to be out there that being a teacher, through TFM or not, is not even a tad bit glamorous. You don’t get paid on time, you’d be missing best friends’ weddings, family gatherings, birthdays etc., you have crazy deadlines and you’ll feel like crap because you don’t know how you’re doing. Nobody sends you a “good job” email on that awesome class you just had, or though you had. Are you sure you want to be a teacher? If you think it is a walk in the park, be rest assured that it’ll be the ghettoest, most messed up park you have ever walked in. I used to think that only the strong should be a teacher. Only those who know that they won’t quit should be a teacher. Today, I don’t care anymore. Today, I realized how desperate the country is and beggars, can’t be choosers. If you have gone through the education system and came out alive, teach. If you have no idea what to teach, trust me you’ll learn. You’d be surprised to meet kids who have never been told that cleanliness is a virtue, that rempit is not a legit career path, that you don’t have to give up at 16.

Listen to me, drop everything you’re doing and come back to school. Teach them to be human beings because they need to know that screaming at a lady is not the way to speak, that not knowing how to read at 13 is not cool, that cursing at your teachers is rude and to talk back to your mother in front of everybody at school would get you to every hell of every single religion in the world. Teach. If you think it’s too hard and teaching isn’t your thing, then quit. But you can’t quit teaching if you have not actually tried teaching. My point is, every one should teach. Decide later if it is something you want to do in the long run. Just teach. Join TFM, do it the normal route, stop a kid in the middle of the road and ask him/her to tell you the multiplication table, tell him/her a random fact about Egypt or aeroplanes, teach them the right intonation after seeing a question mark, teach.

If you think, all this doesn’t make sense and it’s just some really long facebook status/note by a crazy lady who just cried in a high school toilet, then darling, my dear, you have not taught in a classroom where half of them can barely read and write and the other half is just lost by this immense language barrier that no logical inspiring words can get through them. So teach. I am on my facebook knees.

[...]

Alina Amir

April 2013 External Trade

April trade data offers little hope for any improvement in external demand (log annual and monthly changes; seasonally adjusted): Exports have continued to deteriorate, falling 3.4% in log terms in April, but imports have picked up again, rising 8.8% in log terms. The prognosis for exports remains poor – Europe is mired in recession, growth in Japan is only just beginning to recover, the
You are subscribed to email updates from xBlog ☪ Cool Sociopolitical Blogs
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google