Pentaho 1.0

Diddy

May 19, 2010, 4:51:24 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
I just had a look at your fancy new 1.0 version over at analytical-
labs.com (demo). Can I download it somewhere? I would like to use it
for the project I am working on.
Best regards,
Diddy

t...@wamonline.org.uk

May 19, 2010, 4:58:21 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com

Sure diddy, there are still a few outstanding blockers, but if you just follow a standard upgrade path,our latest builds are always at ci.analytical-labs.com

Cheers

Tom

On Wed 19/05/10 9:51 AM , Diddy diethard...@gmail.com sent:
I just had a look at your fancy new 1.0 version over at analytical-
labs.com (demo). Can I download it somewhere? I would like to use it
for the project I am working on.
Best regards,
Diddy

Diddy

May 19, 2010, 6:08:38 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
Thanks a lot. I downloaded it and it works fine on my local PC. When I
try to run it on the server, where Pentaho BI server is running as
well, tomcat won't startup (port nr conflict I guess). I changed the
port in the server.xml file from 8080 to 9999, but still it doesn't
start at all (Hypersonic is starting fine though). How can I best
change the port?
I tried this as well but no progress: set CATALINA_OPTS= -
Djetty.port=9999 -Xms256m -Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -
Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
Thanks,
Diddy

On May 19, 9:58 am, t...@wamonline.org.uk wrote:
>   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
>  Sure diddy, there are still a few outstanding blockers, but if you
> just follow a standard upgrade path,our latest builds are always at
> ci.analytical-labs.com
>   Cheers
>  Tom
>  On Wed 19/05/10  9:51 AM , Diddy diethard.stei...@gmail.com sent:
>  I just had a look at your fancy new 1.0 version over at analytical-
>  labs.com (demo). Can I download it somewhere? I would like to use it
>  for the project I am working on.
>  Best regards,
>  Diddy
>  --
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
> [2] mailto:unsub...@googlegroups.com

t...@wamonline.org.uk

May 19, 2010, 6:11:56 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com

Diddy there are 2 ports to configure in tomcat the 8080 and another which is at the top somewhere ( i forget its name)

You could always just download the war, and put it in the same tomcat instance that Pentaho runs on.

Tom

On Wed 19/05/10 11:08 AM , Diddy diethard...@gmail.com sent:
> pentahoanalysistool-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com [2].

> Links:
> ------
> [1] pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
> [2] unsub...@googlegroups.com

Diddy

May 19, 2010, 7:01:36 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
Thanks a lot Tom! I put it now on Tomcat (same instance as BI server)
and it's running fine. I just a have a problem with the XML/A setup. I
tried to follow the instructions that I wrote down last year when I
set it up successfully, but somehow there is still a bug (my schema is
called "CAT_DE", the query executes just fine in schema workbench):
My datasource.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<DataSources>
<DataSource>
<DataSourceName>Provider=Mondrian;DataSource=Pentaho</
DataSourceName>
<DataSourceDescription>Pentaho BI Platform Datasources</
DataSourceDescription>

<URL>http://pentaho.yyyyyy.com/pentaho/xmla?
userid=zzzzzz&amp;password=zzzz</URL>
<DataSourceInfo>Provider=mondrian</DataSourceInfo>
<ProviderName>PentahoXMLA</ProviderName>
<ProviderType>MDP</ProviderType>
<AuthenticationMode>Unauthenticated</AuthenticationMode>
<Catalogs>
<Catalog name="CAT_DE">
<DataSourceInfo>Provider=mondrian;DataSource=localhost_cat_de</
DataSourceInfo>
<Definition>solution:CAT_DE/include/olap_schema_v1.xml</
Definition>
</Catalog>
<Catalog name="SteelWheels">
<DataSourceInfo>Provider=mondrian;DataSource=SampleData</
DataSourceInfo>
<Definition>solution:steel-wheels/analysis/
steelwheels.mondrian.xml</Definition>
</Catalog>
<Catalog name="SampleData">
<DataSourceInfo>Provider=mondrian;DataSource=SampleData</
DataSourceInfo>
<Definition>solution:steel-wheels/analysis/
SampleData.mondrian.xml</Definition>
</Catalog>
</Catalogs>
</DataSource>
</DataSources>

My mondrian XMLA.jsp looks like this:

<%@ page session="true" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://www.tonbeller.com/jpivot" prefix="jp" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>

<jp:xmlaQuery id="query01"
uri="http://pentaho.yyyyyy.com/pentaho/xmla"
dataSource="Provider=Mondrian"
catalog="CAT_DE">SELECT {[Service].Children} ON COLUMNS,
{[Measures].[Users]} ON ROWS FROM [Ad Tracking Cube]</jp:xmlaQuery>

<c:set var="title01" scope="session">Mondrian OLAP via XML/A</c:set>

Is there anything that you can spot that is wrong?
Thanks,
Diddy

On May 19, 11:11 am, t...@wamonline.org.uk wrote:
>   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
>  Diddy there are 2 ports to configure in tomcat the 8080 and another
> which is at the top somewhere ( i forget its name)
>  You could always just download the war, and put it in the same
> tomcat instance that Pentaho runs on.
>  Tom
>  On Wed 19/05/10 11:08 AM , Diddy diethard.stei...@gmail.com sent:
>  Thanks a lot. I downloaded it and it works fine on my local PC. When
>  try to run it on the server, where Pentaho BI server is running as
>  well, tomcat won't startup (port nr conflict I guess). I changed the
>  port in the server.xml file from 8080 to 9999, but still it doesn't
>  start at all (Hypersonic is starting fine though). How can I best
>  change the port?
>  I tried this as well but no progress: set CATALINA_OPTS= -
>  Djetty.port=9999 -Xms256m -Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -
>  Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
>  Thanks,
>  Diddy
>  On May 19, 9:58 am, t...@wamonline.org.uk [1] wrote:
>  >   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;}
>
>  >  Sure diddy, there are still a few outstanding blockers, but if
> you
>  > just follow a standard upgrade path,our latest builds are always
> at
>  > ci.analytical-labs.com
>  >   Cheers
>  >  Tom
>  >  On Wed 19/05/10  9:51 AM , Diddy diethard.stei...@gmail.com [2]
> sent:
>  >  I just had a look at your fancy new 1.0 version over at
> analytical-
>  >  labs.com (demo). Can I download it somewhere? I would like to use
> it
>  >  for the project I am working on.
>  >  Best regards,
>  >  Diddy
>  >  --
>  >  You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google
>  > Groups "pentahoanalysistool-users" group.
>  >  To post to this group, send email to
>  > pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com [3] [1].
>  >  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>  > pentahoanalysistoo...@googlegroups.com [4] [2].
>  >  For more options, visit this group
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en[5].
>  >
>  > Links:
>  > ------
>  > [1] pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com [6]
>  > [2] unsub...@googlegroups.com [7]
>  >
>  > --
>  > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "pentahoanalysistool-users" group.
>  > To post to this group, send email to
> pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com [8].
>  > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [...]

Paul Stöllberger

May 19, 2010, 7:10:41 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diddy,

usually you can just enther the URL between the <URL> tag in datasources.xml

http://pentaho.asdf.com/pentaho/Xmla?userid=joe&password=password

just insert that into the new XMLA connection, that’s it (Xmla not xmla ...
that’s case sensitive)
or just enter the URL and the user/pw in the according text boxes (catalog
name is optional, if you want to restrict)

-Paul

May 19, 2010, 8:09:32 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
Thanks a lot Paul! It's working now :)

When I go on New/Query, the main window area/the grid where I drop the
measures/dimensions on, seems unfinished, I guess this is work in
progress?

One problem that I came across: I dropped some measures/dimensons onto
the grid and all executed properly. I clicked on "Show MDX", then "New
MDX query", "execute query" and then I clicked on File/Save Query and
saved it.

When I tried to open it, the query was not present. Is this a bug? Or
do I have the change some settings somewhere?

BTW: The Excel Export works very well! Great new feature!

Thanks,
Diddy

On May 19, 12:10 pm, Paul Stöllberger <paul.stoellber...@aschauer-

t...@wamonline.org.uk

May 19, 2010, 8:46:27 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
Er yeah the new workflow is still not quite finished, but its getting there, the members and some other bits and pieces aren't quite finished, and it needs some tidying up but that will be done by the start of next week.

Tom

On Wed 19/05/10 1:09 PM , Diddy diethard...@gmail.com sent:

edv.at> wrote:
> Hi Diddy,
>
> usually you can just enther the URL between the tag in datasources.xml

> http://pentaho.asdf.com/pentaho/Xmla?userid=joe&password=password
>
> just insert that into the new XMLA connection, that’s it (Xmla not xmla ...
> that’s case sensitive)
> or just enter the URL and the user/pw in the according text boxes (catalog
> name is optional, if you want to restrict)
>
> -Paul

Paul Stöllberger

May 19, 2010, 8:50:02 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com

Diddy, if you save a query and just use the default hibernate JDBC properties it will disappear when you restart the server, since its just a in memory DB

You can change that in the: WEB-INF/application.properties + WEB-INF/pat-hibernate.cfg.xml for the dialect

But in general that should work. Do you see any error in catalina.out ?

Glad you like the Excel export ;-)

-Paul

Diddy

May 19, 2010, 9:59:56 AM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
Thanks a lot Paul! I assigned my MySQL DB and now everything works
smoothly. Mid next week I'll introduce CAT to our end users, maybe by
then I can already use the new version. I'll keep watching CI. Once I
have this version, I'll be able to provide some more feedback. So far
I am quite impressed with the progress you all have made!

On May 19, 1:50 pm, Paul Stöllberger <paul.stoellber...@aschauer-
edv.at> wrote:
> Diddy, if you save a query and just use the default hibernate JDBC
> properties it will disappear when you restart the server, since its just a
> in memory DB
>
> You can change that in the: WEB-INF/application.properties +
> WEB-INF/pat-hibernate.cfg.xml for the dialect
>
> But in general that should work. Do you see any error in catalina.out ?
>
> Glad you like the Excel export ;-)
>
> -Paul

Diddy

May 19, 2010, 12:07:22 PM5/19/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
One last question for today: When will conditional formatting
supported, so that I can run queries like this:
WITH MEMBER [Page.Page].[All Pages].[PinCR] AS ([Page].[Pin Inputted])/
([Page].[Pin messages sent]) , FORMAT_STRING = Iif(
([Measures].[Users] < 0),
"|#.00%|style='red'|arrow='down'",
"|#.00%|style='green'|arrow='up'"
) SELECT {[Page.Page].[All Pages].[PinCR]} ON COLUMNS,{[Date.Date].
[2010-05-01]:[Date.Date].[2010-05-19]}*{[Measures].[Users]} ON ROWS
FROM [Ad Tracking Cube]

t...@wamonline.org.uk

May 19, 2010, 1:17:09 PM5/19/10
to pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
Its on the roadmap for sometime in the nearish future.

On Wed 19/05/10 5:07 PM , Diddy diethard...@gmail.com sent:

> > athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en[5
> > <http://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en%5b5> ].

> > athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en> > [10].
>
> > >  <athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en>
>
> > athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en.

> >http://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en> > [6] pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en> > [11] pentahoanaly...@googlegroups.com

> > group, send email to

> > visit this group
>
> > >  <athttp://groups.google.com/group/pentahoanalysistool-users?hl=en>

> read more »

Diddy

May 20, 2010, 4:59:54 AM5/20/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
Cool. Thanks!

On May 19, 6:17 pm, t...@wamonline.org.uk wrote:
> [...]
>  > > Thanks,
>  > > Diddy
>  >
>  > > On May 19, 12:10 pm, Paul Stöllberger  wrote:
>  > > > Hi Diddy,
>  >
>  > > > usually you can just enther the URL between the tag in
> datasources.xml
>  >
>  > > >
>  >
>  > >http://pentaho.asdf.com/pentaho/Xmla?userid=joe&password=password
>  >
>  > > > just insert that into the new XMLA connection, that’s it
> (Xmla not xmla
>  > > ...
>  > > > that’s case sensitive)
>  > > > or just enter the URL and the user/pw in the according text
> boxes (catalog
>  > > > name is optional, if you want to restrict)

Diddy

May 20, 2010, 9:36:15 AM5/20/10
to pentahoanalysistool-users
I found a small problem: I saved two queries. When I try to open one,
it doesn't open all the time (well, maybe it works 20% of the time).
The display order of the queries also changes (sometimes being
displayed ascending and sometimes descending).
(All works fine though with only one saved query).
Please let me know where I can find the log file and I can send you
the error message if there is one.