Re: PAT & multiple front ends

Paul Stoellberger

Oct 9, 2010, 4:11:42 PM10/9/10
to pgschr, pentahoanalysistool-dev
Yes, you are right. The backend and frontend logic is completely separated.

We are currently in the process of developing not only GWT communication interfaces, but also JSON/SOAP RESTful ones.
One of the project members has started already to work on a JS based UI.

We are working on a wiki page that explains our REST interfaces a bit more in detail:
http://code.google.com/p/pentahoanalysistool/wiki/PatRestInterface

We would very much like to see a combined effort to create an additional UI, one that people who prefer other technologies than GWT cant wait to use.
If you would be interested to talk more about this in detail, feel free to contact Tom and me at con...@analytical-labs.com or just swing by the IRC channel ##pentaho.pat on Freenode. We'd like to hear more about your ideas....

-Paul

On 9 Oct 2010, at 19:36, pgschr wrote:

> Hi, I'm interested in knowing more about PAT architecture,
> specifically if the back-end and front-end are isolated, I understand
> you're using GWT but would like to create an additional/different look-
> and-feel for the front end, for example with Flex, and reutilize the
> back-end logic without altering it.
>

> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks
> Paul

pgschr

Oct 11, 2010, 9:31:27 AM10/11/10
to pentahoanalysistool-dev

Paul, thanks for your response.

What I'm looking for is an embeddable Flex class with features similar
to JPivot. The Flex class has to be as light as possible, transferring
all heavy processing to the server side. If you expose SOAP services I
think that could work, however I wouldn't call these services from the
Flex client, I'd develop a server-side component in J2EE to make the
calls and forward the data to the Flex class (for security and
performance reasons). Two main features this Flex class should have
are OLAP cube navigation and charts.

Paul

On Oct 9, 4:11 pm, Paul Stoellberger <p.stoellber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, you are right. The backend and frontend logic is completely separated.
>
> We are currently in the process of developing not only GWT communication interfaces, but also JSON/SOAP RESTful ones.
> One of the project members has started already to work on a JS based UI.
>
> We are working on a wiki page that explains our REST interfaces a bit more in detail:http://code.google.com/p/pentahoanalysistool/wiki/PatRestInterface
>
> We would very much like to see a combined effort to create an additional UI, one that people who prefer other technologies than GWT cant wait to use.
> If you would be interested to talk more about this in detail, feel free to contact Tom and me at cont...@analytical-labs.com or just swing by the IRC channel ##pentaho.pat on Freenode. We'd like to hear more about your ideas....

pgschr

Oct 9, 2010, 2:36:57 PM10/9/10
to pentahoanalysistool-dev

bugg_tb

Oct 11, 2010, 12:29:02 PM10/11/10
to pentahoanalysistool-dev
Hi Paul

Thanks for your interest in the Rest stuff, this is all very new but
taking shape reasonably quickly.

Basically, until we get a chance to refactor PAT isn't stateless and
relies on session objects for your app to interract with the server
which is the session rest call. Then there is a create query call
which is currently what I am working on, the idea being PAT returns an
entire query object to the client for you to interract with anyway you
want(assuming you return to pat a valid query model). PAT is clever
enough to know if you want XML or JSON and will create and accept
query models in either format.

The current query model is undergoing some modification but now looks
something like:
http://pastebin.com/KPA8CjCF

Whilst I'm sure there will be some changes I think it largely makes
sense, and features will be added to the xml inline.

The next step is to create the method to turn it back into something
PAT understands hopefully I will get time to look at this soon, but
this week I'm in India and Paul is trying to get me to focus on 1.0 so
we'll see how much time I can spare on that.

On the other hand, feel free to offer to help out ;)

Also I'm interested in your thoughts as someone looking to implement
this, as I'm basically just making it up as I go along and ask people
who are interested for input to help fine tune the idea.

Thanks

Tom

pgschr

Oct 27, 2010, 10:43:11 PM10/27/10
to pentahoanalysistool-dev
Tom, thanks for the explanation, I'm still researching this space.
Besides session management, what is the value added of invoking
services vs. making direct calls to Olap4J? I work with Java and
didn't find Olap4J API too complex.

Regards
Paul