Are u there?

Goutham

Apr 8, 2008, 10:39:16 AM4/8/08
to Pentagoo
Hey,
Are you still active with this game design? I was just curious to
figure out how the logic part of this code should be done. Just the
algorithmic part. I am a PhD student in Physics, and got introduced to
this game recently.

Goutham

cheeaun

Apr 8, 2008, 11:29:05 AM4/8/08
to Pentagoo
On Apr 8, 10:39 pm, Goutham <goutha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you still active with this game design?

I'm still around, but due to not much attention paid to the game,
perhaps, a little inactive.

> I was just curious to
> figure out how the logic part of this code should be done. Just the
> algorithmic part. I am a PhD student in Physics, and got introduced to
> this game recently.

You mean the AI part?

Goutham

Apr 8, 2008, 11:32:08 AM4/8/08
to pent...@googlegroups.com
Ya.. I would like to take a look at the AI part.. I think one has to come up with a strategy for the computer to play effectively. I have a rough idea on how to do it.  I took a look at the source. Is there any source documentation. That would help me in finding what I want to find.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

* Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
- Leo Tolstoy

Lim Chee Aun

Apr 8, 2008, 11:40:41 AM4/8/08
to pent...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Goutham <gout...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ya.. I would like to take a look at the AI part.. I think one has to come up
> with a strategy for the computer to play effectively. I have a rough idea on
> how to do it. I took a look at the source. Is there any source
> documentation. That would help me in finding what I want to find.

Oh, umm.. the current AI is actually done by a friend of mine, which
isn't very efficient for now and doesn't have documentation. Few
months ago, there is a guy who coded another AI for the game. The new
AI is rather decent but it's very slow when it's tuned to be 'smarter'
which explains why I did not include it in the game and also the
source repository.

So far, I just know certain methods used to do the AI, one of them is
so-called the minimax method (the new AI). If you are interested I
could send you the source.

--
Lim Chee Aun - http://phoenity.com/

Goutham

Apr 8, 2008, 11:56:16 AM4/8/08
to pent...@googlegroups.com
What is minimax method? Can I read about it somewhere? I would definitely be interested in taking a look at the source code. But I think, tuning the game to be smarter would lead to slowness.. As one would have to make a lot of calculations. But there might be some improvements possible.

Thanks!

Lim Chee Aun

Apr 8, 2008, 12:03:24 PM4/8/08
to pent...@googlegroups.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax

> I would definitely be
> interested in taking a look at the source code.

Alright, will be sending the code later.

> But I think, tuning the game
> to be smarter would lead to slowness.. As one would have to make a lot of
> calculations. But there might be some improvements possible.

Ya, that'll be the speed optimization, which is way over too much for me :)

Goutham

Apr 8, 2008, 1:37:38 PM4/8/08
to pent...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I will take a look at Minimax. I can't promise too much in terms of help. But I am definitely curious to find out a good logic to work this game. We will see.