Math chat with Ryan Carr

Chang Lee

Mar 7, 2017, 3:17:04 PM3/7/17
to Penny University
Had coffee with Ryan at 8th & Roast today and chatted for an hour on mathematics, in particular linear algebra about principal component analysis (PCA) and independent component analysis (ICA). We both reviewed what we know about PCA and I tried to do some high level overview on the linear algebra related to PCA like eigenvalue decomposition. Ryan also showed me his current project on music genre prediction and I learned about how he attacks the problem in Python and how he applies his domain knowledge of the problem. Was a great chat and would do it again!

Chang

rcarr

Mar 8, 2017, 10:36:32 AM3/8/17
to Penny University
I agree, this was a great chat.  Walking through the linear algebra behind PCA with Chang helped to fill in the gaps and reinforce my current understanding of the subject.  One area that we left open for discussion was interpreting PCA for high dimensional, sparse, binary matrixes.  This could be the subject of a future chat.

Good meeting you Chang!