Image segmentation with Aliya Gifford

Chang Lee

May 8, 2017, 8:07:05 PM5/8/17
to Penny University
Today Sam(@sam) and I had the opportunity to learn about image segmentation from Aliya(@aliya). She first gave us an overview on image segmentation and how the problem is connected to supervised learning with examples from medical imaging, then we dived into a particular image data that Sam is working on where he wants to apply convolutional neural network techniques to cubical imaging data in Python. Two particular things I learned are that spatial information combined with domain knowledge can be useful to rule out noises in images, and that the best way to collect data in medical imaging depends on human anatomy and the problem at hand. I also got more ideas to try on the video classification problem.

It was a great chat where we got to bounce ideas off each other. Thanks Aliya!

Chang

Samuel Remedios

May 8, 2017, 9:12:42 PM5/8/17
to Penny University
In addition to Chang's summary, we also got a nice rundown of the state of current clinical practices of image segmentation.  This talk helped me focus my efforts towards the missing pieces in my current endeavors.

Great talking with both of you!

Sam