How to build a website w/ Corey Rice and Michael Holroyd

Shaw Kagawa

May 21, 2020, 8:58:59 PM5/21/20
to Penny University
I had the pleasure of listening in on the conversation with Michael Holroyd and Corey Rice about the PennyU app frontend. This turned into a talk with Corey about what building a website entailed to a website-building beginner. Corey took me through the current code (in React and Redux, iirc) at a high level, demonstrating the locations where the data gets filled in and how the code translates to the UI, down from the SQLite layer up to the React code. It helped that I had dealt with RESTful endpoints, Gatsby, and SQLite, but all in different contexts. As someone who didn't even know about Flow or Redux and had only heard about Typescript, getting to know how websites were made by an expert was great.

We also talked about the importance of hands-on exploration of topics and dabbling in many different topics is important for learning, for someone still learning like me.

Short chat, but thank you for the helpful explanations Corey and Michael! I will see if I can contribute to the app.

Shaw

Corey Rice

May 22, 2020, 9:38:21 AM5/22/20
to Penny University
Thanks for attending Shaw! It was fun chatting with you and Michael. I think that's a good summary of the stack we are using. In addition we are deployed on Heroku. Its a very low effort way to get something deployed so I would recommend looking into it for your productivity app.

I'm hoping we can continue to have Building Penny U Frontend chats to dig into the work being done and explore how we can make it better, what features would be useful ect.

Here is a link to the repo for reference if anyone finds this and is interested in joining the conversation.