Tuesday Workout

1 view

jermi...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2008, 10:05:46 PM6/23/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp
How to do this workout: Have your dumbells handy and a floor area
large enough to do pushups and lunges. Your dumbells should be heavy
enough that doing 12 curls with them would be tough. Do each exercise
one right after the other with no rest in between each exercise. Doing
each exercise without stopping is called a circuit. You should do
three complete circuits resting 2 minutes between them. The idea is
this, each separate exercise taxes the body in a different way. So you
can do them back to back without resting, this works them hard and
also gets your heart rate up. So you are combining muscle work with
cardio work (not to mention saving time) which is key to being able to
fence all day at maximum effectiveness.

The Circuit
These exercises are to be done in a circuit style, the only rest in
between exercises should be to take a drink of water.

12 dumbell squats
15 pushups
20 bent-over dumbell rows (20 with each arm)
24 lunges (12 with each leg, alternate legs)
20 mountain climbers
16 woodchoppers

Complete 3x, 2 minutes of rest between circuits.

All exercise descriptions can be found on this page
http://groups.google.com/group/pennsic-bootcamp/web/main-exercises

Don't forget to report back to the list on how the workout went.

Michelle Enzinas

Jun 24, 2008, 5:05:43 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I did it! took less than 20 minutes.

I called uncle on the moutain climbers and dropped my weights for the second two sets. My shoulder's are sore from yesterday's push-ups (which I didn't know until I started this set).

I'm all sweaty!

-Lucia

Stanzi

Jun 24, 2008, 5:26:22 PM6/24/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp

Just finished - my arms are pretty sore too...I'm also starting to get
a bit twitchy for a soda..

Amber Carter

Jun 24, 2008, 5:52:26 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I just finished as well.

My chest and shoulders are pretty sore from yesterday's and today's push-ups. Toward the middle, I started getting really tired, but pushed all the way to the end. I'm sure I'll be hurting tomorrow. =P

But, I feel great after the workout! =)

~Lucia

Michelle Enzinas

Jun 24, 2008, 6:18:44 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Are all the women on this list named 'Lucia'?

-Lucia d'Enzinas
(Ealdormere)

Phillip Jones

Jun 24, 2008, 7:33:07 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
FInished, pushups challenged me today. My legs aren't having much trouble at all with the other exercises so I did more mountain climbers

Daniel Warwick

Jun 24, 2008, 8:22:49 PM6/24/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp
Great workout in about 20 minutes. Skipped the push-ups because my
body wasn't ready for more after yesterday. And I need a slightly
larger barbell, but I'm starting this cautiously. And I'd like to
meet the sadist who invented mountainclimbers.

Look for a post from Thomas Schreiber.

Daniel

On Jun 23, 10:05�pm, "jermina...@gmail.com" <jermina...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> How to do this workout: Have your dumbells handy and a floor area
> large enough to do pushups and lunges. Your dumbells should be heavy
> enough that doing 12 curls with them would be tough. Do each exercise
> one right after the other with no rest in between each exercise. Doing
> each exercise without stopping is called a circuit. You should do
> three complete circuits resting 2 minutes between them. The idea is
> this, each separate exercise taxes the body in a different way. So you
> can do them back to back without resting, this works them hard and
> also gets your heart rate up. So you are combining muscle work with
> cardio work (not to mention saving time) which is key to being able to
> fence all day at maximum effectiveness.
>
> The Circuit
> These exercises are to be done in a circuit style, the only rest in
> between exercises should be to take a drink of water.
>
> 12 dumbell squats
> 15 pushups
> 20 bent-over dumbell rows (20 with each arm)
> 24 lunges (12 with each leg, alternate legs)
> 20 mountain climbers
> 16 woodchoppers
>
> Complete 3x, 2 minutes of rest between circuits.
>
> All exercise descriptions can be found on this pagehttp://groups.google.com/group/pennsic-bootcamp/web/main-exercises

Amber Carter

Jun 24, 2008, 9:33:53 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Apparently. =P

~ Lucía Velásquez de Trujillo
(Atlantia)

John Enzinas

Jun 24, 2008, 9:35:03 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
All in all these weren't too bad.
The second set of push-ups were pretty brutal but for some reason the
3rd weren't nearly as hard.
As a side note, my exercize area is linoleum and after it gets a
little wet from sweat the mountain climbers get much much harder.

--j

Thomas Schreiber

Jun 24, 2008, 10:45:32 PM6/24/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp
Well, I'm done. My upper arm muscles are noticeably sore, even before
the 45 push ups. My thighs are also a little stiff now. All in all,
if it's supposed to replicate fencing, it's working. :)

Jeremy Austin

Jun 24, 2008, 10:51:20 PM6/24/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I completed this at about 8:30, took me about 25 minutes.

Hope everyone is doing ok with the exercises. Little quiz, without using google, who can tell why planks and mountain climbers are better at strengthening your abs than crunches?

Dominyk

David Bartlett

Jun 25, 2008, 8:41:58 AM6/25/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, my back is still on fire from that pulled muscle and I
feel like I am definately falling behind with this work out. I'm going
to try to start after this week to give it some small time to rest. If
I screw it up now, I won't be able to fight at Pennsic and that is not
an option.

So rock on, guys! The more you are in shape, the more likely it will
be that victory will rest on your shoulders at the end of the day.

Celric

jermi...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2008, 9:20:44 AM7/1/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp
OK guys today we are going to do something a little bit different. We
will combine a lot of the workout elements that we have used in to one
workout.

Start with a bodyweight warmup circuit.

12 Burpees
12 Bodyweight squats
1 minute front-plank
Rest for 1 minute then repeat.

Now you will do two supersets. A superset is where you take two
exercises and complete a set of each with no rest in between. Each
exercise will work a different part of teh body so you can move from
one exercise to the next and not have to worry about fatigue of the
muscle worked. For instance you might do 15 pushups and then
immediately do 15 squats, this qualifies as one superset.

Superset 1: Do 3 complete supersets
Exercise 1a: 20 Overhead Dumbbell Presses
Exercise 1b: 15 Dumbbell Squat (hold dumbbells at shoulders height
while doing squat)

Superset 2: Do 3 complete supersets
Exercise 2a: 20 Dumbbell Bent Over Rows (20 for each arm)
Exercise 2b: 24 Reverse Lunges (12 for each leg)

End with
3 intervals (no pushups)

Let me know if you have any questions about this workout or if you are
confused about the supersets.

Archimedes

Jul 2, 2008, 2:38:25 AM7/2/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I just finished (yes, at 2:40 in the morning).  I missed yesterday's because of a fevery, respiratory, flu-thing.  I got a good night's sleep and am feeling better, however.  Is it just me or did this exercise take more time that most of the others?
--
~There are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, and the third is useless. -Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince", Chapter 22

Phillip Jones

Jul 2, 2008, 8:05:12 AM7/2/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I didn't finish this workout. I think I bruised a rib on Sunday. Monday's workout wasnt good but I did finish it.

Jeremy Austin

Jul 2, 2008, 9:38:38 AM7/2/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I also did not complete this workout. I got hit on the "funny bone" by Master Alan last night....really hard. I did about half of the workout but my arm hurt so much I had to stop. This morning my hand is still partially numb and my elbow hurts. Today's workout might be iffy also.

Martha Kwoka

Jul 2, 2008, 9:54:36 AM7/2/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I did this workout and though i think my weights are too heavy for me,
i did manage to finish it. I didn't like it as much as the one on
Monday. It wasn't nearly as brutal. My arms and abs beg to differ,
but i didn't sweat nearly as much.
-Ilaria

Troyfish

Jul 2, 2008, 9:54:55 AM7/2/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I haven't been doing the workouts, even though I should have been... but I was convinced to give it a go with a partner and that worked well as inspiration.

I was fine for most of the exercises, even though I sucked at the reverse lunges, and just trying to figure out how to do some of the exercises... Believe it or not, I've never had ANY training in what these are, thankfully Ilaria was there to keep me on track.  I finally did myself in when we were doing the intervals, and I screwed up doing jump rope exercises.

Finished it, but then needed to collapse soon afterwards.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing today's or not, It will depend on how I feel AFTER climbing.  As I'm not doing these before hand, I need all my strength or I'll fall off the wall and consider myself a compelte failure, instead of the minor failure I do now. :)

-Connor

jermi...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2008, 9:14:38 AM7/8/08
to Pennsic Bootcamp
Strength training day

15 Arnold Dumbell Presses (3 sets)
2 Minute Wall Sit
30 Dumbell Parries ( 15 each arm, 3 sets)
15 Squat Jumps
24 Lunges (12 each leg, 3 sets)
20 Dumbbell Bent Over Rows (3 sets)
20 Pushups
2 Minute Lunge-hold (switch legs and repeat)
25 Bodyweight squats

Take your time between sets but make sure you do each exercise with
good form.

Laura Martinez

Jul 8, 2008, 10:27:00 AM7/8/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I am doing last week's exercises since I just joined this week, and I had programmed them in my schedule.  I work out at 6 a.m., so it's easier for me just to go ahead with that routine (which is new to me anyway), than wait for the day's workout.

Hope it's okay.

So far, Monday, it was a fun routine.  I was able to complete everything, and it made me sweat.  Sweating is my Litmus test at this point.  My interval so far is 4 minute segments in the elliptical going slow, fast, breakneck speed, slow.  Then do the pushups.  Then start all over.  (I looooove mountain climbers and bridges!)

Tuesday, I did pretty well with all of them and was happy with it.  Replaced the dumbells for the squats with the barbell because I love it.  25 lb plates.  Me like.  (Plus I have been trying to work my way up to 50 lb plates for the past six monthts.  Not there yet, but still trying.) Added some medicine ball floor side crunches at the end of the routine because I had some leftover time and I was at the gym anyway.

Nice workout to add to my repertoire.

Bel

Jeremy Austin

Jul 9, 2008, 12:11:36 AM7/9/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
Done. I still like this one a lot.

Anyone else still on the wagon?

Phillip Jones

Jul 9, 2008, 9:14:52 AM7/9/08
to pennsic-...@googlegroups.com
I am still on the wagon (mostly). I bruised a rib last Sunday (or something else) dont think it is more serious than that, but it has caused me to really adjust how I work out. I have been mainly concentrating on my diet and doing some exercise throughout the day without trying to aggravate my side. I think I will be starting back on the Pennsic prep tomorrow before fighter practice (as a warm up).