Anyone have an Exaco Trading Aerobin 400 Insulated Composter and Self Aeration System?

JeannieC

Feb 13, 2011, 8:38:52 PM2/13/11
to Peninsula Composting Club
Hi,

We are looking for a composting bin with a small footprint that will
allow us to simply add materials on top and eventually get compost on
the bottom, without requiring any turning.

I came across the Aerobin 400 and it looks like it might be what we
are looking for. Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of
it. We'll be putting kitchen scraps, yard waste (from a small yard)
and chicken coop litter (chicken poop with probably wood shavings).

Here's the link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Exaco-Trading-Aerobin-400-Insulated/dp/B0036S643A

Open to hearing other suggestions too! We want it to be very easy to
take care of and access compost. i.e. put raw material on top, get
great compost from the bottom without having to turn or manage things
like moisture levels. And we only have a small spot for it.

Thanks!
Jeannie.

Lauren Angelo

Feb 14, 2011, 10:42:42 PM2/14/11
to peninsul...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeannie,

Interesting. I'm all for avoiding turning, but I'm not convinced that
that type of bins will really do the trick. In my experience a bin
fills up very quickly if you aren't doing any turning... and then it
takes forever for what is sitting there to decompose. And so, you
don't end up putting the majority of your food waste in your bin.

My neighbor just bought a tumbler, and I *think* this is the one:

http://www.goodideasinc.com/our-products/composters/compost-tumblers/compost-wizard-jr/

although he can chime in to confirm (he's on this list!). This bin
intrigues me because the turning is as easy as turning the bin, and
that should lead to faster decomposition.

Lauren

Cameron Colson

Feb 15, 2011, 3:08:23 PM2/15/11
to peninsul...@googlegroups.com
Lauren,
my experience is similiar

compost takes some level of management and care.

It is never just that easy!

--
ü No printing of this email.
Cameron Colson

THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY
TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVATE,
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient as stated herein, or an agent of the
intended recipient responsible for delivering this e-mail message to the
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail message to "camero...@californiacompliant.com." In the event
that you review the information contained in this communication,
notwithstanding the fact that you are not the intended recipient or an agent
of the intended recipient, such review will signify your understanding and
agreement that the information in this communication is the senders trade
secrets, and confidential and privileged information and you agree not to
disclose or use such information and agree to be bound by all applicable
laws in connection therewith.

CameronColson
All Rights Reserved