Re: Digest for peninsula-compost@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Audrey Gold

Jul 1, 2011, 5:56:26 PM7/1/11
to peninsul...@googlegroups.com
Great to see your post.   I bought the following a few months ago
http://www.compostore.com/backporchct.html.   It is much much better than my old biostack composter which had a furry visitor problem.    However,  with this design I am finding it hard to turn as it gets full and heavy.      It is amazing to see that the compost is created much faster with regular turning.

ps.   If anyone enjoys berries,  Webb Ranch has an amazing U-Pick options.  http://www.webbranchinc.com/farmers_upick_straw.htm    It is really a fun thing to do with children.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM, <peninsula-co...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/peninsula-compost/topics

    Lauren Angelo <lauren...@gmail.com> Jun 30 10:28AM -0700 ^

    I know a lot of us have been looking for a good backyard compost bin,
    myself included. I finally decided to try out a spinning compost bin,
    and I've been REALLY happy with it. My hesitation had been that I
    thought it would fill up quickly, because it is smaller than what I'm
    accustomed to. But I set mine up a few weeks ago, and I'm still
    integrating a tall kitchen bag of food scraps once or twice a week.
    One of the things I love about it is that it is rodent-proof, and so,
    I don't have to worry about burying my scraps. So, I'm much more
    likely to take my kitchen scraps out when it makes sense for indoor
    air quality. i.e. I know longer wait until all visitors to my house
    ask why my kitchen smells so bad. Also, another concern had been that
    turning the bin would get harder as it filled up, but the design of
    mine makes turning easy thus far.

    Bonus: the compost is heating up in the bin and producing that ashy
    stuff, something that has only happened once in my BioStack.

    FWIW, this is the one I bought:

    http://www.gaiam.com/product/spinning+composter.do

    Lauren

Lauren Angelo

Jul 6, 2011, 7:21:16 PM7/6/11
to peninsul...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link, Audrey. It's interesting how the two bins differ.
My spinning barrel just sits on rollers, whereas yours appears to be
suspended.

Mine is also getting harder to turn as it gets fuller, and my friend
Ben -- who is on this list but never deigns to respond-to-all --
replied to my email about my composter to say that he has the same one
and mostly hates it.

So, I guess the search is still on for an excellent compost bin.